Can I have two copies of dominant white and two copies of fibro be in the same bird?

Nicks_Chicks

Songster
May 15, 2024
I'm about to get an ayam cemani rooster, so I am going to breed him with dominant white hens to make zombie chickens. Well, I know offspring will be sexlinked (only females being paint and having black skin) and breed the girls back to their dad to get zombie roosters as well. Then I wanted to cross these zombie roosters back to their moms or their sisters so I can try to get zombies that breed true, color wise. My question is in the title.

Can I have two copies of dominant white and two copies of fibro be in the same bird?

Yes, it is genetically possible to have a chicken with two copies of dominant white and also two copies of fibro, because those genes are at different places on the chromosomes.

I'm about to get an ayam cemani rooster, so I am going to breed him with dominant white hens to make zombie chickens. Well, I know offspring will be sexlinked (only females being paint and having black skin)

I would expect both sexes of chicks to have paint coloring (feathers), but if the mothers have light skin then yes I expect daughters to have black skin and sons to have light skin (sex-linked trait there.)

Then I wanted to cross these zombie roosters back to their moms or their sisters so I can try to get zombies that breed true, color wise. My question is in the title.

Yes, crossing those males with their sisters should produce some chicks with the right combination of genes to breed true for the black skin and dominant white feathers.

Crossing the males back to their own moms (dominant white, light skin) will not give any chicks that breed true for the black skin, but will give some that breed true for the dominant white feathering.

Yes, it is genetically possible to have a chicken with two copies of dominant white and also two copies of fibro, because those genes are at different places on the chromosomes.

I would expect both sexes of chicks to have paint coloring (feathers), but if the mothers have light skin then yes I expect daughters to have black skin and sons to have light skin (sex-linked trait there.)

Yes, crossing those males with their sisters should produce some chicks with the right combination of genes to breed true for the black skin and dominant white feathers.

Crossing the males back to their own moms (dominant white, light skin) will not give any chicks that breed true for the black skin, but will give some that breed true for the dominant white feathering.
I meant the moms from the f1 cross.

I meant the moms from the f1 cross.
If you cross Ayam Cemani with Dominant White hens to produce "zombie" F1 chicks: crossing F1 zombie sons back to the original Dominant White hens cannot give any chicks that are pure for fibro. A hen with no fibro (original Dominant White hen) can never produce a chick that is pure for fibro, because she gives a gene for not-fibro to every chick she produces.

If you cross F1 zombie cockerels with F1 zombie pullets to produce F2 chicks, some of those F2 chicks may be pure for fibro, or for dominant white, or both. If you cross some F2 chicks with their F1 mothers, that also has a chance of producing some chicks that are pure for fibro, or pure for dominant white, or both.

So it would be possible to get a true color zombies in f3?
Some of them, yes.

If you pick exactly the right F2 male and female to breed together, you will get 100% zombies in the F3.

If you pick other F2 male and female to breed, or if you cross F2 x F1, you will get some zombies that can breed true but some that cannot, and probably a few that don't look like zombies at all.

Some of them, yes.

If you pick exactly the right F2 male and female to breed together, you will get 100% zombies in the F3.

If you pick other F2 male and female to breed, or if you cross F2 x F1, you will get some zombies that can breed true but some that cannot, and probably a few that don't look like zombies at all.
I know it will be hard to tell with fibro, but can I at least select for pure dominant white by seeing if they have black spots or not?

Back
Top Bottom