Can I have two copies of dominant white and two copies of fibro be in the same bird?

I know it will be hard to tell with fibro, but can I at least select for pure dominant white by seeing if they have black spots or not?
Mostly yes.

I have read of exceptions either way (2 copies of dominant white but a few black spots, or 1 copy of dominant white and no black spots).

But in general, yes the ones with the least spots are probably the ones pure for dominant white. If you want to be sure, you can test-mate them with black chickens and see if you get any black chicks (which would prove the bird being tested is not pure for dominant white.) If you get about 8-10 chicks from that test, and none of them are black, there is a very good chance the bird being tested is pure for dominant white.

Mostly yes.

I have read of exceptions either way (2 copies of dominant white but a few black spots, or 1 copy of dominant white and no black spots).

But in general, yes the ones with the least spots are probably the ones pure for dominant white. If you want to be sure, you can test-mate them with black chickens and see if you get any black chicks (which would prove the bird being tested is not pure for dominant white.) If you get about 8-10 chicks from that test, and none of them are black, there is a very good chance the bird being tested is pure for dominant white.
This year I crossed two birds that both had one copy for dominant white. Most of them where the same with black and gold spots, and some where black and some were pure white.

This year I crossed two birds that both had one copy for dominant white. Most of them where the same with black and gold spots, and some where black and some were pure white.
That sounds about right, although I might have expected gold leakage on all colors, not just the ones with one copy of dominant white.

Yes, if they were obviously divided into three color groups, you can probably be fairly accurate at telling which ones have two copies of dominant white and which have just one.

That sounds about right, although I might have expected gold leakage on all colors, not just the ones with one copy of dominant white.

Yes, if they were obviously divided into three color groups, you can probably be fairly accurate at telling which ones have two copies of dominant white and which have just one.
I did have gold leakage in black chicks, forgot the mention that. But some of the chicks are just white.

Back
Top Bottom