Can I/ How to dose Liquid Meds off the Roost

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
My 5-6 yr old hen Masha needs 2.5 mL antibiotics every 12 hrs.
These first few days I've been loading up the syringes & dispensing maybe 0.3 mL per dribble into her beak a.m. & p.m. It's going well. But my work schedule has changed, so for many of the remaining 9 days I'll have to dose her after she's gone to roost in the p.m.
I'm wondering: How hard it is to wake a chicken to successfully take that much liquid/dribbling if they've already gone into their comatose sleep??
Also, does anyone know if I can safely dispense more than 0.3 mL per dribble (while she's wide awake, or after going to roost)?

It is usually easier to take a sleeping chicken off the roost at night and medicate them. I would only put about 0.5 ml at a time into the beak, and let them swallow. Open the beak by pulling down on the wattles, squirt it inside, release the wattles to swallow, and repeat. A head lamp with a red light is handy for sneaking in without creating excitement.

Wow! I never thought they would swallow anything if they were already sleeping or sleepy. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom