Can I influence fetus positioning?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I have one egg in the incubator that I think is positioned forward the tip rather than the air cell. I’ve had maybe one egg successfully hatch that way, but this egg is much smaller. It’s 1 and 1/2 inches in length- so I’m thinking it may be cramped toward the top.
I was wondering if at this point (14 days) if I could encourage the fetus to move toward the air cell? Maybe by finding some dip in the incubator mesh and having it tilt. Or is it likely fatal?

Make sure the egg is positioned up toward the air cell. Use an egg turner for the egg to be automatically turned and positioned where the large end is facing upwards and the point of the egg is facing downward. If you do not have an automatic egg turner, set the eggs in the incubator horizontally with the large end slightly elevated. This is the way eggs naturally settle when placed on their sides. This enables the embryo to remain oriented in a proper position for hatching. Never set eggs with the small end upward. Make sure temp is between 99.5 degrees F, and humidity is 50% and raised up to 60% on lockdown, which is the three days where you don't turn the eggs or open the incubator. Also, make sure to have a brooder ready before they hatch. Keep them or the chicks/ducklings in the incubator to dry off after hatching for 24-72 hours, best is to not go over 48 hours. Don't open the incubator when they internally pip, or they can become shrink-wrapped. They need buddies too, so give them the same species of poultry around the same age so they don't get lonely. If there's ever more information needed to learn, always do more research! 😁 Make sure to fix the position IMMEDIATELY!!! Best wishes ❤️

Back
Top Bottom