Can i keep adult ducks on a river?

Goatgirl23

Hatching
May 5, 2022
I live on a slow flow river and I was curious if I could keep adult ducks that people decide they can't own anymore on my river. I don't mind putting up a duck house and giving feed daily for these unwanted ducks. They would be free range (I understand the possibility of predators). Someone has dropped a duck off at my neighbors house and he's been living well with the wild ducks for over a year. I just want to make sure it's the right decision to take on these unwanted ducks. I've always had chickens, but I would be brand new to the duck owner life! Also I live in michigan so it gets cold! What breeds should i accept or decline? Suggestions or comments would be great!

Wouldn't that be inviting disease to your chickens? Maybe I'm missing something? Would you be feeding the ducks and giving them a house to live in or no?

Some people think that because of the bird flu going around that adding more birds to your flock at the moment would be potentially harmful to your flock.

Is the river close or far from where your chickens are housed?

Wouldn't that be inviting disease to your chickens? Maybe I'm missing something? Would you be feeding the ducks and giving them a house to live in or no?
The chickens would be separated of course. I keep my chickens about 5 acres away from the river by my house. Yes I would set up a duck house and give food to the ducks. I'm just looking for suggestions on how to have ducks on the river if it's possible

Some people think that because of the bird flu going around that adding more birds to your flock at the moment would be potentially harmful to your flock.

Is the river close or far from where your chickens are housed?
About 5 acres away, and they are in a fenced in pasture

The only potential downside of having ducks on a river, is there can potentially swim down stream and not come back. Especially with adding new older ducks. You are going to need to keep them contained till they understand where their food comes from before they can go on the river. Even then there is no guarantee that they won't become adventurous leave.

I otherwise think it is admirable to take in unwanted ducks and give them a home.

Your a hero to want to help these ducks. Any domesticated ducks would be fine to take in. All would most likely appreciate food and a nice place to sleep without the worry of predators. If you set up a house with fencing you can start by placing food outside in the fence close to the house let them get use to going in to eat. Then once they know where food is close them into the fencing so they get used to this is their home. Ducks love repetition so they will get used to being fed and cared for. I rescued some drakes off our river many years ago. They were so hungry it only took me a week to make friends and get them going into the x pen I had set up once they waddled inside I closed up the open end and picked them up placing them into a dog crate and brought them home.
Let us know what you decide. Do you know the breeds your looking to adopt?

Your a hero to want to help these ducks. Any domesticated ducks would be fine to take in. All would most likely appreciate food and a nice place to sleep without the worry of predators. If you set up a house with fencing you can start by placing food outside in the fence close to the house let them get use to going in to eat. Then once they know where food is close them into the fencing so they get used to this is their home. Ducks love repetition so they will get used to being fed and cared for. I rescued some drakes off our river many years ago. They were so hungry it only took me a week to make friends and get them going into the x pen I had set up once they waddled inside I closed up the open end and picked them up placing them into a dog crate and brought them home.
Let us know what you decide. Do you know the breeds your looking to adopt?
Oh that is definitely doable! What kinds of ducks would you think do best in michigan? Our winters are typically in the 20°'s and 30°'s F.

Ducks are hardy they have a nice thick layer of down under their feathers. In winter they need a place to get out of the wind so a coop with ventilation up around the roofline would work, I keep my coop pop doors open year-round and even in dead of winter mine will choose to stay out but they also will go inside some too. So giving them an option is best. What breeds are you seeing dumped? giving them the river means they may get downstream and not be able to get back home.

Back
Top Bottom