Can I leave in cooler?! Butchered extra roosters for the first time!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
Finally after raising chickens for 6 years now we processed 4 of extra roosters for the first time. They were smaller, mixed breeds around 6months but I wanted to make use out of them. We ended up cutting the spine out and spatchcock (is that the right way to say that?!) since they were small and hard to get everything out! It went pretty well but now they are in a cooler on ice and I’m not sure how long to leave them in there before freezing them? Do I need to add water? Add salt? Or do they need to go in the fridge, it is cold here high low 40’s low 20’s next couple days.

I have left them in bags or not, in water or on ice in cooler or refrigerator. I use frozen jugs and swap them out of cooler every 8 hrs. But most people use loose ice.
When rigor is gone , a joint moves freely like a store bird, you can freeze or cook. Between a day for younger chickens and 5 for turkey. Should be frozen or used by 7 to 10 days

I agree with Molpet. That is a good post.

I’m not sure how long to leave them in there before freezing them?
Until rigor passes. That can vary some by bird and depends on temperatures.

Do I need to add water?
You can add water if you wish but you don't have to. They need to stay cold. You can package them before you age or after, your choice.

Add salt?
You can but it is not required. To me the main purpose of salt is to help the meat retain moisture. You can add salt flavor later when you cook it if you wish. How do you plan on cooking the meat? If it is a dry method brining the meat might be a good idea. If you use a moist method I don't find it that helpful.

Or do they need to go in the fridge, it is cold here high low 40’s low 20’s next couple days.
They just need to be kept cold so bacteria can't grow. It doesn't matter if that is in the fridge, an ice chest with ice or ice water, or something else.

I understand what you are saying. The rate of bacterial growth depends on how cold it is. What I think I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter how the meat is kept cold but that it does need to be kept cold.

Back
Top Bottom