What would confine him to the backyard? He is probably going to be sad and scared out there as well. If it is not a secure area, he most likely will succumb to a predator. However, I would not get a companion for him if your goal is to release him.
What happened that this duckling needed rescued?
@chickens really is correct - especially in FL - Muscovies are seen as an invasive species. If you got caught releasing the duck, there might be fines to contend with.
I would think the best thing for this duckling would be to find a new home - I wouldn't release it to fend for itself after being housed with people who took care of it - even if there were other ducks on that lake. He is not one of them now. He would have to learn how to forage for all of his food, defend himself against other ducks, plus be scared and confused.

I kinda tend to agree with both sides of the release thing. I guess it depends on the circumstances. The OP says it's mostly other Muscovies, it might do just fine. Are there others close to its size and age?
But someone may be looking for one for their backyard and give it a nice home, so I think a CL ad would be a good first option.

Eh, tough call. Good luck with whatever you decide.

But I would definitely let it outside at home for some play time and let it learn to forage and such.

I would say no. . I wouldn't leave it unattended in your back yard right now. . if you don't want a predator to take it.
Sorry but as the others have said it will also probably have a hard time making it if/when you release it back with other ducks that have already established territory. Maybe look for a rehabber that would be willing to take it?

I would say no. . I wouldn't leave it unattended in your back yard right now. . if you don't want a predator to take it.
Sorry but as the others have said it will also probably have a hard time making it if/when you release it back with other ducks that have already established territory. Maybe look for a rehabber that would be willing to take it?
I WOULD however take it out as often as possible while you are there to teach it how to forage for food.

Thank goodness I was thinking you were going to go and drop him off where you found him. Whew!! Do you plan on keeping the duckling? if so I'd try and find it a buddy. They real like the company of their own.
Is your back yard fenced with lots of places to hide out in case of flying predators? Do you have a coop or shed you can convert into a duck house? Muscovies make awesome pets and really bond well to their owners.

I would think the best thing for this duckling would be to find a new home - I wouldn't release it to fend for itself after being housed with people who took care of it - even if there were other ducks on that lake. He is not one of them now. He would have to learn how to forage for all of his food, defend himself against other ducks, plus be scared and confused.

He was drowning, his mom nowhere in sight

And well, I don't think anyone would take him, besides it's not like the ducks in the lake never met humans before, as I said its a college campus, and people handfeed ducks every day
I've done it before and the ducks were just fine

Back
Top Bottom