Can i let my rooster out in the garden with feral cats?

KaleDaDuck

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Hi, i have a rooster that i saved from going to a slaughterhouse.. and he is so tame and friendly... But since i have exams that means i have to stay and study in my room and he will have to sit 99% of the time in a cage... I was wondering if feral cats would hurt him if i put him outside all the time without a cage... Cause these cats are constantly at his cage at night.. heres a picture of him.. he didnt start crowing yet.. and i want him to go in the garden because i live in a place that temperatures go up to 50 Celsius easily..

Attachments

• 16246162130155455818931368087174.jpg
    16246162130155455818931368087174.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 26
I always have feral cats that take up temporary housing in my barn (until they become road kill), and the current one poses no threat to my poultry. Dubbed Pacey, its movements evoke no reaction from any of the birds -- chickens, ducks or geese.

HOWEVER, if Pacey or any other feral was showing as much interest as the feral cats you describe, I would not risk my rooster's life.

I always have feral cats that take up temporary housing in my barn (until they become road kill), and the current one poses no threat to my poultry. Dubbed Pacey, its movements evoke no reaction from any of the birds -- chickens, ducks or geese.

HOWEVER, if Pacey or any other feral was showing as much interest as the feral cats you describe, I would not risk my rooster's life.
Were you a Dawson’s Creek fan? 😜 Pacey - what a cute name

Ferrell cats will certainly attack and kill a chicken. If the rooster is large enough and has defensive instincts he may be able to intimidate the cats enough to deter an attack or defend himself should an attack occur.
But make no mistake, Ferrell cats are one of the worst if not the worst predators to have. They devastate wildlife.

If you let him out, and you don't mind having the cats around, set out some food for them. They will take the easy meal and be less likely to need to attack your rooster but you wont get rid of them after that.

I wouldn't trust the cat and cats can be sneaky. Can you get a bigger cage or a bigger place for you male? Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom