Can I Make my Rooster be quiter

GoatGirl123

Songster
May 11, 2021
Escondido California
Hi I am a new member and I have a flock of 13 chickens. We have 12 hands and one rooster. I rooster is very sweet we’ve named him Hollywood. He’s never aggressive or anything like that. However he does crow like all roosters it’s a normal behavior. But our neighbors are complaining I don’t want to have to rehome him. We are technically allowed to have one rooster where we live but if neighbors neighbors complain too much we will have to rehome him is there anyway to make him quieter?

That is sad. I don't think you can unless he was in a sound dampening enclosure. There are some threads about sound dampening I saw.

You may jusy have to get a breed that doesn't crow loudly. I don't know the breed names, but there are quiet ones out there according to google.

Our roosters crow the most when other roosters (ANY within earshot) are crowing. Birds over a mile away can be faintly heard up the valley and it sets him off.
Other than that he's pretty quiet so long as he has food, water and plenty of ladies but ANY perceived threat to his gals or competition is met with a more than enthusiastic response.
We live in the mountains so his crowing is not a concern, but the only real solution is to not worry about it and do your own thing, or rehome him to a new owner or your freezer.

You can try to keep him busy, toss treats around for him to give to the girls, hang a cabbage up. I never get to keep cockerels much longer after the crowing starts because of zoning laws, but distractions really do help. I recently re-homed a bantam Cochin Wyandotte cross and he has the softest crow! The neighbors never said anything about him and I couldn't hear him when I was inside at all. I didn't think he had even started crowing yet until I caught him in the act.

I'm in the same boat. My roo likes to crow, and my neighbor blows a whistle, making him crow more; then she complained to animal control. I am legally allowed to have him, but only if there are no complaints. I don't think it's fair that she can instigate my rooster into crowing by blowing a whistle, then complain about him. I don't do that to her dog, so it's kind of disappointing that some people can be so selfish. I've done everything to keep him quiet: I black out his cage the best I can, but he hears the birds wake up, and begins to crow around 6am, regardless. Then I have been taking him into my house until around 7am but it stresses him out. He calls for his hens, making the hens make a lot of noise trying to call to him! Blah. I'm in the process of moving the coop further from the neighbor and making it insulated, but it will take several months since I'm not a builder. Also, that collar sounds cruel... He is a nice rooster, and has never attacked a human... I really don't want to rehome him, but animal control said if they get another complaint they will fine me $100 for the first time... it goes up from there with each additional complaint. Anyone ever get a complaint filed with animal control? How much time do I have before the first bill is sent? I asked the animal control lady but she just said the matter is considered closed on her end. Not sure what that means lol. I wish city people stayed in the city. The strange thing is that she never had a problem with our chickens (for 40 years) until my sister refused to marry her son recently.

Back
Top Bottom