Can I mix 3 week old chicks with 1 1/2 month old chicks

coolchange

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
I have 3 different age hens, 8 month, 1 1/2 month and 3 week old. I let the 1 1/2 month olds in with the 8 month and the older ones went after them to the point of trying to jump on them so I have them seperated. My question is will the 3 week ones be ok with the 1 1/2 month old hens? I have put them all together during the daytime only and they seem to be fine just a little bit of chasing but that is all. I just worry about them getting stepped on or something. Also what age would be good to but the 1 1/2 month one with the older ones? They are seperated but in the same coop so they can at least get to see and smell each other. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

If you can keep them where there is only a fence between them, so they can get used to each other, you MIGHT be able to mix them after awhile. When you do let them together, make a safe place for them to go to get away from the older ones.
The only way I can explain this is: something like a table with the legs only about 4 to 6 inches tall. The little ones can scoot under it quickly to escape.

I don't like to put them together unless there is only a couple of weeks difference in ages. That is why we have sooooo many different pens all over the place.
A lot of people mix a lot of different ages with no problems, but it doesn't work for me.

Jean

hmmm that may be a problem for me also then. I have 7 chicks who are 3 weeks old now, and I have another order of about 18 birds coming in the end of next week when these first ones will be almost 5 weeks old.

I had planned on putting the first batch outside into the coop/run at the 5 week mark (depending on weather of course) and then putting the other group with them when they are 5 weeks old. Maybe I wont be able to do that after all. I tried to pick docile breeds but perhaps it still wont work.
hmm.png

My chicks were three weeks apart in age. I sent the older ones out of the cardboard box and to the hen house when I got the new ones, both batches with heat lamps. When the new ones were approx three weeks old I divided the hen house with chicken wire and put the one heat lamp on the little girls side. I took them out a couple of times a day to the yard to mix with the big girls under supervision. After a few days I took the bottom of the wire dividing the house and slid a 2X4 piece under it. This way the little ones could come and go freely, but the bigger ones would have had a bit more trouble getting in. Even so I checked them very often for the first couple of days and seperated them at night. Finally I left the 2X4 in at night, then in a couple more days with no major problems removed the wire. The little ones still get a passing peck and don't cuddle up with the big ones. I am sure glad it worked out for me. Now the growth curve is slower for the big ones so there is less and less size difference.
smile.png

So here's what I did. I took the pen with the little pullets in it and placed it in the coop with the three older chicks. It was hilarious! I left the pen door open (with me in the coop) and Foghorn went in and started eating their food and drinking their water. A little Ancona walked up to him and scared him witless!!
lol.png
Then I closed up the pen and every one was watching everyone else. Im about to go check on them. Two sundays from today, the coop will get moved and then they can go out in the yard during the day! I have a BB pistol so the first dog that goes near the fence I will shoot in it's booty!

Back
Top Bottom