can i paint your chickens?

Jessiedoyle

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 10, 2011
Hey there all,
I am an artist who is trying to get together a bunch of pictures of various heritage breed chickens so I can do a series of oil paintings. My goal is not only to make some great art, but also to spread the good word about heritage breeds. If you have good, close-up photos of your heritage breed chickens, especially close-ups of their heads or more unique features, I would love for you to send them my way via email so that I can paint from them. If I do paint from your photo I will email a picture of the painting when it is done so you can see and tell you where I have shown it to others whether in a gallery, on etsy, or my blog. If you do send photos, please tell me the breed, where you raise them, the name of your farm (if you have a farm name), anything about the breed that you think is useful, or interesting, and anything about you or the way you raise chickens that you might like me to tell others about.
Also, if you raise chickens anywhere near Fort Wayne, Indiana, or Clarksville, Tennessee, I would love to visit your farm and take pictures of your chickens myself.
If you are curious about past art, I have pictures, mostly of waterolors and colored pencil drawings of heirloom vegetables and flowers, here: jessiedoylesstuff.blogspot.com
Thanks for any interest
Jessie

Hi, as an artist myself I understand the need for good pics of subject matter...... I'm afraid I'm in FL, so a little far to visit but I do have Sultans, Crevecoeurs, Faverolles, Andalusians, Jersey Giants, Bantam Dorkings, Bantam Houdans, & Bantam Polish. Had some of the others but since downsized but I may still have pics. I'll see what I can find.......

Last edited:
Cochins, Cochins, Cochins!
woot.gif
Would you use Cochins? I have alot of good pics and I also have frizzled Cochins.

i love your enthusiasm
smile.png
and yes, i would paint cochins.

i want to paint your chickens if you are a small farmer or individual who is trying to save a breed from extinction, or who is just trying to raise chickens that do well in their climate, or who just likes to raise happy healthy chickens and happens to have a unique breed, (i know there are other types of chicken farmers to name i just can't think of them).

mostly i want to paint unique chickens who are allowed to forage and are treated well by their owners, chickens who are healthier than the chickens who produce the eggs and meat you buy in the grocery store, (because they are not fed only corn, not pumped with antibiotics, not confined to a small caged or even a large place that is over-crowded with tons of chickens, and not bred so that their muscles grow faster than their legs and organs can handle).

for a more thorough and confusing explanation of heritage breed chickens you can look at the american livestock breed conservancy site here:
http://www.albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/faqs.html
scroll down a little and look under the heading what is a heritage chicken. but i am not necessarily as strict as all that.

Back
Top Bottom