Can I put my baby chicks with my 7 month old hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Backyardchickenlover89, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Backyardchickenlover89

Backyardchickenlover89 Chirping

Dec 16, 2018
    Hey

I found out about this website while searching for information regarding about my baby chicks, it’s amazing to know there’s so many supporting members here, I was wondering if it would okay or not to put my 6-7 month old hen with 1 week and half old baby chicks? if the answer is no, how long should I wait before I do that, because my hen is lonely and needs company

Thanks to those who answer
    your help is appreciated

Melky and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  2. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I am not the most experienced individual on BYC, however, like you, I have read a lot on BYC and have also experienced integrating birds.

Do not mix the two sets now. The young ones need to be a bit larger before mixing them. The most successful way to integrate chicks is using a “see but no touch” rule; keeping the birds separated by a fence for a determined amount of time until they become familiar with each other.
    Quite a few BYC’ers use the fencing to separate the birds while using a small hole(s) in the fence (big enough for only the little ones) to allow the little chicks to come out and mingle with the older birds yet still able to run to safety if being picked on. I personally have not done this, but I plan on doing so with my next integration.
    What I have done is kept the two groups separated by a fence until the younger ones were 12 weeks old. In hindsight that was too long, but several places I read the two groups needed to be very close in size. I’m not 100% sold on that idea anymore since I’ve gone through integration and witnessed exactly how the birds interact.
    One thing you do need to be mindful of is the number of birds in each group. It is never a good idea to mix just a few into an older group or even vice versa, I suppose. In your case I probably wouldn’t let the younger birds get too old before allowing them to mingle with your one pullet (< 1 year=pullet.) In theory I guess they could gang up on her. But what you definitely don’t want is the older ones to gang up on a few little ones.
    I know this is all run together and I hope you can make some sense out of it, however I am certain others will be along to explain it more eloquently, so to speak. Good luck.

Melky likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Melky, aart and bobbi-j like this.
  4. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018

Thanks for you’re help, much appreciated I’ll wait till they grow a bit and do as you said :’)

Mimi’s 13 and Melky like this.
  5. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    for the baby chicks
    I have build them a house
    all by myself, I do construction as a trade and know how to build, they are well and growing each and every single day, I sometimes lay beside them and spend hours looking into their little personalities, they are all unique and look beautiful, when I bought them from a breeder I didn’t really trust the person, but thank god they are healthy and well kept, I’ll wait for them to grow for now until they become a 2-3 months old before I put them with the hen, keeping chickens or pets is all a learning process

sometimes we think we know we know but there’s always more to learn, I thank both of you guys for replying, happy holidays in advance

Mimi’s 13, Melky and sourland like this.
  6. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    05963F0E-8E36-43AC-9BFB-143C1F8CF111.jpeg 2D37CAB3-A2F6-44A2-BCD3-26E1E1C471C5.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    Since the owner just gave them and minded the money only, I created this box with light, starter baby chick feed and the second day when they got home me and my wife we build them a home

I managed to buy all the wood from Home Depot
    ( Canadian Here) and they now are well settled and enjoying their new home

8. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    Pictures

Attached Files:

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your new flock.

Melky likes this.
  10. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    5ED95F60-4592-4308-83AB-D887009452CA.jpeg
    Welcome!​

Mimi’s 13 and sourland like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: