Can I put new chicks with week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jaybeeson18, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    Hello everyone I have recently hatched some quails and have 3 out of 12 due to some that dropped throughout incubation on the floor with butter fingers and others not making it because I was all new to the process. Apart from that I have 3 healthy week old quail chicks. I have now also got some new eggs that have been in the incubator for a day in with the older chicks when they hatch??? If not I can buy another brooder. But is it possible can someone help please????

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't mix young birds. You have to wait until they grow out to a similar size, so pretty much don't mess with mixing any groups of quail until they are 8 weeks or older. Brooders are simple to make out of a rubbermaid tote and some chicken wire. Just cut a hole in the lid of the tote, cover it with chicken wire and hang the light above it or set it directly on the wire.

3. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    When can I remove chicks from the brooder?

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The first week the brooder temp should be 95*. Every week lower it 5 degrees for 4 weeks. After they are 4 weeks old you can take them off the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by