Can I save my chicken?

There is very little change today. I started the Cocci yesterday afternoon, so I am still trying to be optimistic.

I looked at this site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
The poop that matches her's is the poop of the chicken with ovarian cancer. :(

Her crop looks good. We are on day 6 of illness. No mites. She doesn't move - even if tempted by meal worms. She'll drink and eat very little. I am offering various treats throughout the day to provoke her appetite.

It could be egg peritonits,or ovarian cancer as you mentioned. Is her abdomen swollen,red?

Day 7 - She's still alive; however, she doesn't look good.

She will only eat soft foods: applesauce, yogurt, finely chopped fruit. She will NOT eat mealworms! I'm shocked. She barely eats her feed.

She is displaying the same behaviors. I'm treating her with Cocci. I am not sure what else I can do. I am holding on to hope, but I don't want to be cruel if she is in pain.

She really needs to drink the Corid, so you may need to get her to drink more than eat. If she doesn't take enough of it it won't do her any good.

Day 7 - She's still alive; however, she doesn't look good.

She will only eat soft foods: applesauce, yogurt, finely chopped fruit. She will NOT eat mealworms! I'm shocked. She barely eats her feed.

She is displaying the same behaviors. I'm treating her with Cocci. I am not sure what else I can do. I am holding on to hope, but I don't want to be cruel if she is in pain.
I strongly suspect egg peritonitis,some symptoms are yolk colored poop,lethargic,fluffed feathers,loss of appetite,weakness,etc. The symptoms of egg peritonitis do mimic egg binding. I would suggest a vet immediately,some treatment options are antibiotics,draining abdominal cavity,pain control. It could also be a viral infection,but she needs to see a vet if possible.

X2 on the vet, but I would still want to get her hydrated. And it probably is repro related, in which case the outlook is grim.

-Kathy

Have you noticed by any chance if she had any droppings yellowish - rubbery ? If yes, I guess, that she became internal layer. I have a 2 year old chicken like this.
My chicken had a similar symptoms with green poop and plus she pooped yellow rubbery substance sometimes. She was in a very bad condition, I was 99 % sure she will be gone.
I was given her some herbs. She got better, but not completely. She is very slow with a pale hanging comb right now. She got very skinny because she hardly eats. She lives like this for several month already. Other chickens don’t let her be with them. She have to free rage all day on her own and just coming back to sleep in a quiet corner where nobody is bothering her. Please check out info on internal layers and see if you will find resemblance.
About ovarian cancer, I found information, that flax seeds prevent ovarian cancer in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom