Can I use pick no more in freezing weather

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
One of my pullets is getting picked on a lot. She's had a small bald spot for a few days, but this evening I noticed some blood. She was doing really well at first. Recently, the roo has been mounting her a lot and she really freaks out. After that some of the other hens started picking on her. I really don't want to separate her because that would probably make it worse. I have pinless peepers, but the birds wouldn't be able eat out of the feeder. They're heads would get stuck in it. I tried blu kote with another bird, but then she got picked even more. Should I order PNM? Every night the temp drops to below freezing. The thermometer said it was right at freezing earlier, but not sure if I believe it. If I got PNM would it even be a good idea to put it on since it's so cold? Thanks in advance!

Photos of the damage?

Pick No More is going to be similar to Blu Kote. I've found that "bluing" usually does make the curious pick at it, so only use it to actually treat minor wounds on birds that aren't housed with a lot of birds or they are "single".

How much space do you have? It may be better to provide space and/or places where the pullet can get away from the flock.
The rooster may need a time out. Is he a rooster over a year old or cockerel under a year? A cockerel can be a pain and will take advantage of timid and scarred females sometimes.

Depending on the location and the damage, Pine Tar may be a better option.

Photos of the damage?

Pick No More is going to be similar to Blu Kote. I've found that "bluing" usually does make the curious pick at it, so only use it to actually treat minor wounds on birds that aren't housed with a lot of birds or they are "single".

How much space do you have? It may be better to provide space and/or places where the pullet can get away from the flock.
The rooster may need a time out. Is he a rooster over a year old or cockerel under a year? A cockerel can be a pain and will take advantage of timid and scarred females sometimes.

I have 9 hens, 1 rooster (Smokey), 1 cockerel (Turbo), and this pullet (Jo). The roo is a 1 ½ yrs. The cockerel and pullet are 9 months. The 2 boys are very calm and laid back. I introduced them about a month ago and they haven't fought once. Turbo hasn't tried to mount the hens. Smokey doesn't over mate the hens, and he takes really good care of them, however he has been a little obsessed with Jo. The run is 262.5 ft². 2 of the hens saw Jo getting bullied once and came running and scared off the bully.

The wound is on her back. She's missing her saddle feathers. The bald spot is probably the size of a nickel or quarter, but all the feathers around it are broken.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_080252.jpg
    IMG_20220122_080252.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220122_080306.jpg
    IMG_20220122_080306.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 5
Also she's getting food and water. Her crop is empty every morning and full every night. When she gets picked on she jumps up on top of the coop and the others don't follow her.

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
The Pine Tar finally came and I put some on Jo last night. Today she's running around a lot more. She got chased several times this morning, but now she's out in the middle of the run, and she looks really happy. I never would've thought to use Pine Tar. Thanks for the help

Photos of the damage?

Hello there - I know this post is super old but you seem to be really knowledgable about this stuff. I have a cockerel doing similar to above. One of my girls is getting beat up pretty bad and there are places to hide but now she is always hiding. I have used pinless peepers in the past on bully hens and they worked really well. It has been getting really cold here like teens etc...is it too cold to put pinless peepers on my cockerel?

Hello there - I know this post is super old but you seem to be really knowledgable about this stuff. I have a cockerel doing similar to above. One of my girls is getting beat up pretty bad and there are places to hide but now she is always hiding. I have used pinless peepers in the past on bully hens and they worked really well. It has been getting really cold here like teens etc...is it too cold to put pinless peepers on my cockerel?
I've never used pinless peepers.
If the cockerel is beating her up, then pen him separately until he matures a more.

Back
Top Bottom