Can I use up my grower feed or do I need to switch?

MiaS

Songster
Mar 28, 2019
DeWinton, Alberta
My Coop
My Coop
My girls are finally beginning to lay a bit now that the light is creeping the other direction (no supplemental light). With a tiny (micro) flock I don't go through feed very quickly and I have most of a bag of grower feed left. Do I absolutely need to go get some layer feed or can I finish up the grower with the addition of oyster shell on offer?

Could I mix the two?

I recommend sticking with the grower for the higher protein content and serving oyster shell on the side.
If you've already purchased 'layer' feed, you could mix them. I wouldn't switch from one to the other 'cold turkey' though... as chickens are sensitive to changes in their diet and the last thing you want to do with new laying pullets is stress them out :)

I recommend sticking with the grower for the higher protein content and serving oyster shell on the side.
If you've already purchased 'layer' feed, you could mix them. I wouldn't switch from one to the other 'cold turkey' though... as chickens are sensitive to changes in their diet and the last thing you want to do with new laying pullets is stress them out :)
This is what I was hoping. One of my girls was feather picking (seems like the 'stop-pick has been working) so beyond not wanting to waste the feed, I wasn't sure I wanted to reduce the protein. I will perhaps reserve some at the end of the bag to mix for a smoother transition. Our impending cold is likely to stress them anyway... Abruptly heading down to around -30° C (-22° F) end of this week. Bbbrrr

My girls are finally beginning to lay a bit now that the light is creeping the other direction (no supplemental light). With a tiny (micro) flock I don't go through feed very quickly and I have most of a bag of grower feed left. Do I absolutely need to go get some layer feed or can I finish up the grower with the addition of oyster shell on offer?

Could I mix the two?
I would mix them .The main thing is will they eat the layer feed.If the eat the layer feed then mix it 50/50 and feed it out.If they will not eat the layer feed .Then mix at 25% layer to the grower. And slowly increase it ,at each feeding.

16% Protein
That doesn't sound like chick food, so it should be fine for the duration. Some people like the higher protein feed, but I don't think layer is higher protein. Do yours free range at all? IE: access to scratching for bugs? Anyway, protein aside, what you're using with oyster shell on the side should be fine. Then when you add chicks, or if you get a cockerel, you don't have to be feeding different feed to different chickens.

Back
Top Bottom