Can it take more than 21 days for a hens eggs to hatch?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

Mine were laid while I was on holiday so they were all different ages, I kept the most developed but nothing has happened!

I'm on day 27 now and am about to give up as my hen's began to lose some weight and I really don't think anything is going to hatch.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry too much then. It's your judgement, I'm on day 27 and am going to give up. i think a week is a suitable amount of days over hatch day but everyone's different.

I have read about chicks hatching 1/2/3 days late on here quite a number of times
smile.png
Good luck, I hope they all hatch OK.

I've had a chick hatch on day 25 once! Her siblings all hatched late, from day 22-23. Don't worry!

Well I was expecting my hatch to happen on June 26th, 3 days ago. When I candled the eggs, they seemed to all be alive, so I waited and waited. Last night one finally hatched. This morning another came out, and there are several more on their way.

To give a little back story, I started with 16 Yokohama eggs and 6 Araucana eggs. That is a huge amount, but the Yokohama eggs are bantam Like. Also, the broody hen is a Hedamora and is known to be able sit sit on a huge clutch.

Gråhilda is my number one broody hen and she wanted to sit on eggs again, so I decided to see if she could hatch this many. After 5 days, Svarrhilda(blabkhilda) went broody, so I slit the eggs.

I am thinking that the hen could not keep all eggs warm at one time, so they developed slowly. I also think some didn't set the first couple days, therefore the late hatch.

The one and only egg we've ever gotten to hatch, hatched on day 28. We thought the thing was never going to hatch. Someone said that the humidity level can delay hatch or uneven temps during the incubation.
hu.gif
Also hard to tell when she actually started sitting full-time sometimes too. That can throw your hatchday off as well.

mine now day 22 .the 1st came on day 19 and second and third on day 21 and still 3 more eggs to go

My girl is on day 23. I'm almost SURE she was sitting before I noted the day so maybe even 24, 25 days. I'm going nuts...NEED To run the weed eater, LOT of rain.Will try further from her spot but Will need to get close eventually. :confused::pop🥴:oops:

Back
Top Bottom