Can Mallard/Rouens Fly?

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
I am hatching mallards crossed with a Rouen drake. Will they be able to fly? And what would you call them? Rouallards? Mallouens? Tom, Dick, Harry???

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Are they true mallards or from a hatchery? I doubt they will be able to fly and if they can it probably won't be large distances. I would just refer to them mixed breed ducks.

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
They are from Metzers, except for the Rouen drake who was hatched by a friend from unknown lineage. The drake, not the friend. It doesn't matter either way, but just curious as we supplying a friend with 20 for their pond and he was wondering if they would migrate.

Thanks for the response!

Nsampsel

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
East Central Ohio
It will really depend on their size & wing strength. I would start out with clipped wings & just kinda watch from there to see if they are doing a lot of flapping & whether they can get their toes off the ground with clipped wings. As long as they can lift themselves with clipped wings I would keep clipping.

Apyl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Necedah, Wi
Are they true mallards or from a hatchery? I doubt they will be able to fly and if they can it probably won't be large distances. I would just refer to them mixed breed ducks.
Are you saying hatchery Mallards don't fly? I thought all Mallards could fly if not clipped.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious what the norm is. I purchased 7 Hatchery Mallards.

Last edited:

Apyl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Necedah, Wi
I would just watch and go from there. My mallards started flying around 8 weeks old, at first its spurts and low flying then it will get higher and longer.

fowl farm

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2012
I would just watch and go from there. My mallards started flying around 8 weeks old, at first its spurts and low flying then it will get higher and longer.
I can't wait for my Mallards to fly!

Nsampsel

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
East Central Ohio
Are you saying hatchery Mallards don't fly? I thought all Mallards could fly if not clipped.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious what the norm is. I purchased 7 Hatchery Mallards.
It all depends on their wing strength & how fat they get. I know my 3 month old drakes could fly if I didn't clip their wings & they came from a hatchery.

m.kitchengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Maine
My friend at work just told me the saddest story about the day his Rouens flew away when he was a boy. It was heartbreaking.
Clip a wing, to be safe.

Top Bottom