Can Mallard/Rouens Fly?

Are they true mallards or from a hatchery? I doubt they will be able to fly and if they can it probably won't be large distances. I would just refer to them mixed breed ducks.

They are from Metzers, except for the Rouen drake who was hatched by a friend from unknown lineage. The drake, not the friend. It doesn't matter either way, but just curious as we supplying a friend with 20 for their pond and he was wondering if they would migrate.

Thanks for the response!

It will really depend on their size & wing strength. I would start out with clipped wings & just kinda watch from there to see if they are doing a lot of flapping & whether they can get their toes off the ground with clipped wings. As long as they can lift themselves with clipped wings I would keep clipping.

Are they true mallards or from a hatchery? I doubt they will be able to fly and if they can it probably won't be large distances. I would just refer to them mixed breed ducks.
Are you saying hatchery Mallards don't fly? I thought all Mallards could fly if not clipped.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious what the norm is. I purchased 7 Hatchery Mallards.

Last edited:
I would just watch and go from there. My mallards started flying around 8 weeks old, at first its spurts and low flying then it will get higher and longer.

Are you saying hatchery Mallards don't fly? I thought all Mallards could fly if not clipped.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious what the norm is. I purchased 7 Hatchery Mallards.
It all depends on their wing strength & how fat they get. I know my 3 month old drakes could fly if I didn't clip their wings & they came from a hatchery.

My friend at work just told me the saddest story about the day his Rouens flew away when he was a boy. It was heartbreaking.
Clip a wing, to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom