Can more than 2 roosters peacefully live together?

I had 4 various hens but wanted more Silkies so I bought 8 chicks. The owner said he would pick what most looked like hens to him. I ended up with 5 of the 8 being roosters. I tried giving them away, certainly will not butcher them and don't know what to do. They get along OK but 3 of them set their eye on one hen and she is almost featherless. They free range most of the time but the hens run to me for protection. Help

I have two roosters that grew up together and another one a bit younger with about 15 hens.The oldest(my white leghorn),keeps the other two in check and neither one of them try anything around himor with him.I have more problems with my hens over who's dominate than I do with the roos.When the hens start to breed,I separate the roosters so I won't have to break up a fight.chicklet,i don't know about where you live, but where I am there is a place where you can buy and trade roosters for hens.My brown leghorn hens have for the last two years given me four roosters and three hens.Instead of eating them,I trade them for more hens.My roosters try to go after the same hen too sometimes,but often the dominate hen(she is a blue andalusian) will stop them from running the other hens all around my yard as if they were her chicks.

I have 3 roosters 3 hens and 3 rir pullets i need to get my welsummer roo his own hens but would prefer them to be full grown. I know a guy who has welsummer chicks but none that are full grown, any suggestions? Also I had to take my welsummer roo out of the main coop cause they were all picking on him and I found him hiding in the corner

Last edited:
I now have 10 roos and 33 hens and everyone gets along just fine
big_smile.png

You may do fine with 4 roos. It really depends on the personalities of the roos. Recently I had 4 with nowhere near 10 girls each and it went fine for a while. Eventually the girls started having ratty looking feathers on their backs, so we culled two. I never did have a serious fighting problem with them; the worst they would do was chase each other, or a relatively mild peck. They have plenty of room and tended to hang out in groups, each with his own set of females or youngsters.

I had 5 roos with only 15 girls. The roosters all got along fine, some were never allowed to mate. We had a trio of brothers that starts to take over when our other roo started getting old. They were the ones that got mean with the girls, and was causing the hens to look ratty. We sold off our whole flock except for 1 roo and 5 girls, and went and bought 12 chicks.

Last edited:
If you want more than one, and they don't get along the best, there is another solution.

I have a 2x3 dog house with an added door and ventilation for each of my roos. I make sure they get locked up at night, but during the day they are each on a 8 foot leash made out of light weight paracord and attached to a soft leather "shackle" on a swivel. This prevents them from attacking each other, and also limits their ability to harass the girls.

Back
Top Bottom