Can my baby stay outside?

Amorgan8688

Songster
Apr 18, 2018
Oklahoma
hello!!!! I have an 8 month old Rouen drake. He has been an inside duck since birth. He gets outdoor/pool time on nice days. He is VERY domestic and VERY spoiled (being the only child) can I put him outside with the temps getting cold? He would have a pen w/ the capability of going in and out of a little house with bedding. Would he freeze? I am in Oklahoma btw. Would he die with not being used to the freezing temps? I can bring him in if necessary (I have a 30 gal tote w/ bedding he sleeps in now) please help me!!! I want my kitchen back!!! Oh....he stays in the kitchen now with toys, food, his baby (a rubber ducky) and food. Like I said...he is very spoiled!!

Attachments

• C486C435-155D-4063-A045-964C58540DA0.jpeg
    C486C435-155D-4063-A045-964C58540DA0.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 32
we have 7 ducks (4 buffs, 3 cayugas) and all are good outside, were actually swimming in their pond during the 23 degree temps we had here in north texas 2 weeks ago. cold weather doesn't seem to bother ducks, ours prefer the cold to the shelter and heat lamp they have.

Awesome!!!! Thank you
Guys so much!!! Just wasn’t sure if he’d freeze since he’s use to the AC and the heat in the house ‍♀️ I’ll make sure he stays nice and warm!!! I use the pine shavings for his bedding now...what else will help and how often do I need to change his bed when he becomes an outdoor duck?

change it as often as you think it needs to be changed, though he'll likely move away from his bedding, especially if he has a pool or pond, youll be amazed at how often they'll sleep on the water.

oh yes!!! He has slept in his
Pool many of times. I plan on locking him in his little
House at night tho in case of cats....no other threats around the neighborhood for ol Duckie. Would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom