can my birds go out

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
first: the birds i want out are 2 african geese (5 week old), 3 rouen ducks, 2 khaki campbell, 2 buff, 2 pekin, 1 blue runner, (4 weeks old), 4 slw hens (10 weeks old). second: i have a glw full grown pullet with 1 5 day old duck and chick. third: i have 50 degrees day at the lowest and 30 nights at the lowest. is it warm enough for my mentioned breeds and ages. fourth: will i have a problem between my mother + kids and the ducks, chickens, or geese. i am really excited for them to go out as they have basically trashed my greenhouse, but i want whats best for the birds.

it seems a bit too cold at 30 to keep them out.

Try setting up a day pen for them and just watch to make sure they dont get too cold yet.

If they have their back feathers thay can spend more time out or even stay there. But I dont know about introducing youg waterfowl to older ones sry.

I put my 5 and 6 week old chicks out in there coop last week and we've been having temps like you. 30's,40's,& 50's.
I put a heat lamp in the coop and I turn it on at dark and then turn it off again in the morn. They seem just fine. They don't even huddle up at night.

my chicks are much older than yours and my ducks and geese are bigger. but my electricity in my barn is bad and i don't plug anything in anymore. thanks for the info.

my chicks went outside when it was cold but I gave them a place to go that was out of the wind & a heat lamp. they ranged in and out all day.
i'm wondering now (they're 7-8 wks old & mostly feathered) if they'll be ok tomorrow night. it will be in the mid 30s & i'm hoping not to use any heat.

we sure worry a lot about these little guys don't we

yes we do. and my coop is completely out of the wind. my coop is a 16' x 16' square. there is plywood 4' high and no wind gets below that.

Back
Top Bottom