Can one chicken lay 2 eggs in one day, as it's first eggs ever?

Same question.... I have 4 hens that are just now of egg laying age. Cedar laid our coops 1st egg on Saturday..skipped Sunday and then one a day since..BUT today there were two...is one of the other gals laying eggs..Cedar is a BO and exibits all the signs of being ready...the other BO is smaller and her comb/waddle color is not as red or as big....are Australorp eggs different enouugh to tell the apart from a BO..Sparkles is the other hen that appears ready...and she is Australorp..

Last edited:
Yes, hens can lay more than one egg a day. I have several breeds separated off at the moment. I check for eggs multiple times a day. A few weeks ago my Blue Orpington layed twice in one day and my two Barred Rock ladies layed 3 eggs between them today. I decided to look it up because I thought it was odd also. However, I think in our case it's because they didn't lay the previous day. For one reason or another they egg isn't exiting...My Barred Rocks didn't lay yesterday for whatever reason and I know the day before my BO layed two I didn't get anything from her either. So reply doesn't answer why it happens...but it does happen = )

I'm scratching my head too. I watched my BR Lumpy sitting and collected an egg at 9:45am, and then I just went back at 11am and she's on the nest again! Up she gets and there's another egg, this one very warm!

My four BR's do look similar, and I suppose I might have been seen someone else, though I don't think so. Or I suppose another bird might have laid the first egg and Lumpy was just sitting on it...I guess I'll never know. I know a hen can lay two in a day--but is it remotely possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in 2 hours???

Just read the complete thread--it sounds like others have had 2 eggs in 2 hours from the same hen just starting to lay. Wow!

I should add my Silver Laced Wyandottes are terrific, reliable layers too. One of them has scarcely taken a day off since she started laying 2 weeks ago. Smart & friendly too - great birds.

I found this thread because I searched on Google if a hen could lay 2 eggs in 1 day. I have 4 wyandotte hens. Three of them lay darkish brown eggs and 1 lays very light colored eggs. Yesterday I got 2 of the light brown eggs, not in the next box but in a dust hole on the ground. I checked at 10 and they weren't there, and then they were both there at 1 pm. I'm almost certain these eggs came from the same hen, since only one girl lays that color eggs and since they were both left on the ground in a short time span. They have only been laying a few weeks.

My four RIRs just laid 5 eggs yesterday! We are so happy! I didn't think it was possible, but should have checked here too! Apparently they are really liking their supplemental light in the coop, which we switch over to a heat lamp at night! :) Very pampered girls!

2 of my hens lay 2 eggs that the same time. I thought it was the others getting up there to lay so one day i sat out there and watched sure enough my 2 girls lay 2 back to back. Is this normal? I mean i aint compaining more food for me lol but my poor frige has more eggs then most hahahaha lucky i have 2 friges.

Lol this is encouraging to read. I just put a review up on the Wyandotte thread stating that mine lay two eggs a day each (on average). I was told this is not possible and asked if I had any proof. I'm new so I didn't realize how sensational that claim was lol. I'm not interested in making amazing claims its just what my experience has been. There seems to be a trend of this in Wyandotte's. Keep in mind I live in Aussie and its sunny here a LOT. Thanks for the great info on this thread everyone.

Our 6 month (and a few days) old chickens presented us with 2 eggs today, the first. My wife is convinced that one of the hens (a silver laced Wyandotte) laid them both.

Is that possible? I imagine it is, but figured you folks would know better than me.

Thanks for your expertise in advance.
Yes. Definitely. My Light Sussex, Book-Book, laid one in the morning and one in the afternoon when she was only 21 weeks old! Being a newbie as well, it puzzled me for a while as I thought that maybe one of my younger hens had laid one early. She was 6 weeks older than the others. She laid 7 eggs in total that week! But, my chicken breeder friend, reassured me that she had known her hens to do that occasionally. Since then, Book-Book's laying frequency has been up and down e.g. 4 day run, or, 1 or 2 days break, but, all-in-all she has laid an overall average of 5-6 eggs per week. So, I'm happy! Whilst I'm waiting for the others to lay, I get 2 eggs every 2nd day or so. For one person, that's fine.
thumbsup.gif
So it sounds as if you've got a good laying hen there, besides a very pretty one, I'm sure.
smile.png

ChickyChooky

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom