Can one chicken lay 2 eggs in one day, as it's first eggs ever?

Hi! I'm here because I got a fright this morning when i found 4 eggs from 3 hens! I can only assume that one of my girls layed twice! I have 2 australorpes and one Rhode Island red. The red usally lays larger eggs than the australorpes, so I usually get one large and two small eggs each day. As there was a third small egg, I'm guessing that this was from one of the australorpes. Very unexpected. I gather from this post that it's not all that unusual to have one girl lay twice in one morning? Cheers:)
Chickenlovers!

I actually saw my RIR lay her second egg. She did not even realize in time that she was about to lay one or she was so excited to get the treats that she didn't want to bother. She laid an egg right in front of me while eating. She froze for a couple of minutes, pooped some watery thing and then shortly thereafter laid an egg. It was shell-less though:

Here is the picture of Tree-Trunks eggs.

1st one to top is her egg on Day 1 at 10:00 AM
The one in the middle is Day 2 at 11:00 AM
The 3rd one (bottom) is her 2nd egg on Day 2 at 7:00 PM.

We have 8 RIR's. 6 months old. 1 rooster and 7 hens. Yesterday I collected 8 eggs. It is possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in one day. I gathered 1 egg in the am and 7 eggs around 5 pm. We were shocked! Plus our hens all like to lay in one nest box when possible. We have 6 nest boxes. I really hope they start using the other boxes consistently.

Heya folks. First time back yard chickener from NZ. I too have a chook that lays two eggs in a 24 hr period. As the last subscriber describes, the second egg did not have a shell and was laid later in the afternoon.
There is a great supply of ground oyster shell and the weather has been particularly warm. The bird has only been laying for about 8 weeks. This is the second occurance of it type with my 3 birds. I thought I might have been doing something wrong but by the sounds of it, this is not uncommon but is a bit abnormal. Birds seem really healthy in every other respect.
Nice knowing there is nothing wrong health wise with the ladies.
Cheers

Yes I had a hen that laid 2 eggs and I sold her and my friend says she is still doing that . Tiny was a favorite of mine but I needed the money to get the others that I was getting. But yes the day I sold Tiny she laid a egg in the cage they had her in and by the time they got home from church she laid another one, to their suprise.

My hen laid to eggs today.... She laid one late Tuesday at about 6pm I figured the next would be prob Thursday morning as she wouldn't lay one Wednesday night given the 25 hour laying period. When u got home Thursday from work I had 2 eggs..... I'm pretty sure my other girls are too young to lay.

Yes, it is possible. My one chicken named Miracle LAID 3 EGGS IN ONE DAY!!! A couple of the eggs were laid within 10 minutes of each other. This is not normal however, and I was quite worried about her because she wasn't looking the best. Her one egg didn't have a shell. She is doing better now and only lays one egg a day, which is fine with me. I'm just glad that she's okay.

I just did a search for 2 egg laying because I just found 2 little pullet eggs in one spot in my coop. All of my girls should be ready to lay soon, but one RIR has been acting like she wants to lay all morning. Lots of noise, in and out of the coop. Moving from the nest box to the coop floor (grass vs shavings) and then from place to place in the coop. I left her alone and went back later to check-and found 2 eggs in the same spot. So either she laid 2 or I missed her laying yesterday. She was noisy yesterday but not as intense in the coop as this morning.

Today my BR laid her first "eggs" She laid 2 within 5 min of each other! So exciting! cracked them open and they BOTH had 2 yokes!
Is this normal or is she special?

Special!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f600.png

I am so glad to read this.
I have 10 new hens, all young birds only been laying a few weeks. For the last 3 days I have been collecting 11 eggs per day. I have had chickens for the last 5 years and have never heard of this before, I thought either I was going mad or my cockerel was laying eggs!!!
Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Back
Top Bottom