Can one mix Bantams and Standards in a flock?

linben

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Austin, TX
I am wondering if you can mix bantams and standard hens in one flock or do they have to be separtate? Will the bantams always be at the bottom of the pecking order or hurt?

Thanks.

Mine were raised together, so they did fine. I have added a few here and there. Some fighting, but not bad.
smile.png

Thanks for the input...I just want some more chickens and I saw some for sale that I just gotta have! I think I am getting hooked on chickens:)

I have an accidental bantam in my flock of large fowl brahmas. Maggie is nowhere near the bottom of the pecking order. Mean little *&^%$!*&

I wouldn't mix Large roosters with bantam hens, they'll tear your hens backs up. Other than that, I have bantam hens that rank over large hens.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with this by saying it depends on the roo. My LF brahma roo Thor weighs in the neighborhood of 13 lbs. yet Maggie's feathers always look perfect; and yes, he is mating her.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with this by saying it depends on the roo. My LF brahma roo Thor weighs in the neighborhood of 13 lbs. yet Maggie's feathers always look perfect; and yes, he is mating her.

I have to disagree too. I have a standard rooster with my bantams. He either doesn't care for them or he is very gentle with them. I think it all depends on the roo. I can't say any of my bantams are higher up than any of my standards in the ranking but they certainly hold their own and command respect from the larger hens. It's a cool mix to see.

Back
Top Bottom