Can one mix Bantams and Standards in a flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by linben, Sep 10, 2010.

1. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am wondering if you can mix bantams and standard hens in one flock or do they have to be separtate? Will the bantams always be at the bottom of the pecking order or hurt?

Thanks.

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Mine were raised together, so they did fine. I have added a few here and there. Some fighting, but not bad.[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have both standard and bantam breeds in my flock. They're fine together. Bantams are NOT always on the bottom of the pecking order ladder, trust me!

4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have a banty cochin and a silkie in with 5 standard size hens. raised together, the banty rules the roost....

5. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the input...I just want some more chickens and I saw some for sale that I just gotta have! I think I am getting hooked on chickens:)

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an accidental bantam in my flock of large fowl brahmas. Maggie is nowhere near the bottom of the pecking order. Mean little *&^%$!*&

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My flock is half standard and half bantam. None of them were raised together but they still get along fine.

8. Mozelly

Mozelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    I wouldn't mix Large roosters with bantam hens, they'll tear your hens backs up. Other than that, I have bantam hens that rank over large hens.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'd have to disagree with this by saying it depends on the roo. My LF brahma roo Thor weighs in the neighborhood of 13 lbs. yet Maggie's feathers always look perfect; and yes, he is mating her.

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I'd have to disagree with this by saying it depends on the roo. My LF brahma roo Thor weighs in the neighborhood of 13 lbs. yet Maggie's feathers always look perfect; and yes, he is mating her.

I have to disagree too. I have a standard rooster with my bantams. He either doesn't care for them or he is very gentle with them. I think it all depends on the roo. I can't say any of my bantams are higher up than any of my standards in the ranking but they certainly hold their own and command respect from the larger hens. It's a cool mix to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by