CAN ORPINGTONS LAY GREEN EGGS

Cencor

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 13, 2013
We have a mixed pen of 12 orpington an a mallard duck. We where pretty sure the mallard laid the green egg as ot is bigger and the shell tougher. We put them in the incubater an ended up with a chick this morning. Im pretty sure its two blackXBuff orpis laying these are they crossed with something else?? Or could they still be orpis. They look a lot like dorkings.

White=duck
Light brown= orpington
Olive green=??

Ive had a look at all green laying birds but none of ours look anything like them

They are running with a BO and a buff black roo (but to me he looks like hes crossed with a dorking) the two chicks that have hatched one is from the buff/black roo as its fully black the other is a grey colour (which im assuming is a blue) i havent got photos as theyve hatched at my brothers house

There was a lady with what appeared to be purebred BBS Orpingtons (Lockedhearts) year before last that had one hen (and a couple of her daughters) that laid a very pale minty green egg. I ordered eggs and she sent the green ones as extras for me. Unfortunately none ever hatched so I don't have any to carry through. This may have been a mutation or a fence jumper somewhere.

My point is that there were some pale to olive green Orpington eggs out there in the gene pool. The ones I got were paler than the eggs you are showing, though. Here is a picture she posted of her pullets. She has not been on BYC for quite some time--here is a link to the original thread-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/464227/test-project-long-term-commitment :

:

Thanks so much the chicks are pure black so cant tell anything yet funmy thing is the eggs have turned to a mint green this last week not sure what it means??

Back
Top Bottom