CAN ORPINGTONS LAY GREEN EGGS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cencor, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    We have a mixed pen of 12 orpington an a mallard duck. We where pretty sure the mallard laid the green egg as ot is bigger and the shell tougher. We put them in the incubater an ended up with a chick this morning. Im pretty sure its two blackXBuff orpis laying these are they crossed with something else?? Or could they still be orpis. They look a lot like dorkings.

2. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    [​IMG]
    White=duck
    Light brown= orpington
    Olive green=??

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    No, if they are laying green eggs, then they aren't pure Orps. They are crossed with a breed that had the blue egg gene.

4. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Ive had a look at all green laying birds but none of ours look anything like them

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of roo?

6. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    They are running with a BO and a buff black roo (but to me he looks like hes crossed with a dorking) the two chicks that have hatched one is from the buff/black roo as its fully black the other is a grey colour (which im assuming is a blue) i havent got photos as theyve hatched at my brothers house

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    There was a lady with what appeared to be purebred BBS Orpingtons (Lockedhearts) year before last that had one hen (and a couple of her daughters) that laid a very pale minty green egg. I ordered eggs and she sent the green ones as extras for me. Unfortunately none ever hatched so I don't have any to carry through. This may have been a mutation or a fence jumper somewhere.

My point is that there were some pale to olive green Orpington eggs out there in the gene pool. The ones I got were paler than the eggs you are showing, though. Here is a picture she posted of her pullets. She has not been on BYC for quite some time--here is a link to the original thread-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/464227/test-project-long-term-commitment :

:[​IMG]

8. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks so much the chicks are pure black so cant tell anything yet funmy thing is the eggs have turned to a mint green this last week not sure what it means??

9. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

they look like they dont have a regular straight comb? looks more like a pea comb from those photos....

10. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi these arnt my orpington they are from another thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by