Can pickled eggs be left on the counter indefinitely?

The pickled eggs sitting out on the counters at stores are most likely commercially prepared eggs and very likely to contain preservatives.

I do not fool around with food poisoning. It's bad enough that it can make you so sick that you wish that you were dead, but it can actually kill you. I don't take that sort of risk with my family.

I know this is an old thread, but the pink color concerning pickled eggs is generally from beet juice; not saltpeter.

Well its a wonder more folks in the south don't die from food poisoning, but the eggs on the counter of every little shop aren't home canned. They are pink too. does anyone add the pink color?
I Never add coloring (I am allergic anyways) growing up we used beets and herbs for coloring and taste! We used straight vinegar w 1/4c. + Of acv, 2 Tbs salt in the boiling brine! In the jars we add all kinds of peppers, onions chives, wild garlic n regular garlic, dill whatever your taste is!! Then hot lid it .. then TRY to wait 2weeks lol

Well its a wonder more folks in the south don't die from food poisoning, but the eggs on the counter of every little shop aren't home canned. They are pink too. does anyone add the pink color?
I Never add coloring (I am allergic anyways) growing up we used beets and herbs for coloring and taste! We used straight vinegar w 1/4c. + Of acv, 2 Tbs salt in the boiling brine! In the jars we add all kinds of peppers, onions,chives, wild garlic n regular garlic, dill whatever your taste is!! Then hot lid it .. then TRY to wait 2weeks lol

I would think that if you use a canning process then they could be left out for a long time. But, after they are opened I think you'd probably see some mold appear on the top of them after awhile. Leaving them out for a few days probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldnt leave them out for a couple weeks. If you do, you may watch for stuff growing inside the jar.
No mold or anything else will be growing inside the jar because the eggs are pickled in vinegar, which prevents mold growth.

Back
Top Bottom