Can Pigeons be Kept With Quail?

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
Could I keep pigeons in my quail coop? There would be chicken wire type stuff separating them, but would they be able to give each other diseases and stuff?
thanks!

As far as diseases, I have no idea. If they are separated, it's good... but it's going to depend on how big the coop is, and how many pigeons you want to keep, what breed, etc. Personally, I always prefer to keep things completely separate... but that's me.

As far as diseases, I have no idea. If they are separated, it's good... but it's going to depend on how big the coop is, and how many pigeons you want to keep, what breed, etc. Personally, I always prefer to keep things completely separate... but that's me.
Do you know a good amount of coop space is per pigeon?
I don’t know what breed it would be yet, if I can even find some for sale near me.

Do you know a good amount of coop space is per pigeon?
I don’t know what breed it would be yet, if I can even find some for sale near me.
In my opinion it's hard to give an exact number. Some people say 2 square feet per pigeon... some say 4.... If someone came up with a cubic foot number it would probably be more helpful haha. I mean the coop/loft could be 3 feet tall, or it could be 12 feet tall, and in 2 such varying height differences that square foot number doesn't mean much. I would just use it as a general rule of thumb with a couple exceptions... one being larger breeds need more space, and also someone who has excellent ventilation can keep more birds than someone with poor ventilation. Also having said that... when it comes to pigeons, less is more. Basically meaning always try to keep from overcrowding because if you let them breed, you can come into an overcrowded situation very fast haha.

In my opinion it's hard to give an exact number. Some people say 2 square feet per pigeon... some say 4.... If someone came up with a cubic foot number it would probably be more helpful haha. I mean the coop/loft could be 3 feet tall, or it could be 12 feet tall, and in 2 such varying height differences that square foot number doesn't mean much. I would just use it as a general rule of thumb with a couple exceptions... one being larger breeds need more space, and also someone who has excellent ventilation can keep more birds than someone with poor ventilation. Also having said that... when it comes to pigeons, less is more. Basically meaning always try to keep from overcrowding because if you let them breed, you can come into an overcrowded situation very fast haha.
Thanks for the advice! My coop is 20 square feet (not including the quail part) and I could measure how tall it is if that would help.

Sorry it took a while. It’s 9 feet tall in the peak, and 20 square feet of floor space.
Is that too small to even consider putting pigeons in? If it is, I won’t be getting any because I want to give them the right amount of space.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom