Can Pullets Get Eggbound? Help plz

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MesMama, Sep 2, 2016.

1. MesMama

MesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    She's 6 months old and haven't seen her lay yet, but she's been in the nesting box since yesterday afternoon sometime. We took her out this morning and she'll drink but not eat. She acts like she doesn't feel well. She does this thing where she puts her head back once in awhile, you know how they do after they get a drink? No coughing or sneezing. She's lethargic and refuses treats and food. Offered a scrambled egg and she pecks at it but drops it back down. Trying pumpkin purée now.

Any thoughts? My poor daughter is crying as this is her FAVORITE chicken that we have :(

2. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    And she pooped this morning at some point because there's a little white on her butt fluff and she has a faint odor of ammonia back there

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    No on the pumpkin but I tried a meal work and she snarfed that down?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Could be sour crop?? How does it feel? If hard? it is impacted crop....Sometimes it does take a bit for a new layer to lay the first egg...Sorry I can not help you without seeing your hen...

5. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    @chickens really
    Crop seems okay, squishy.

I did feel around for an egg externally and thought maybe I felt something, put on rubber glove and lubed up my finger and gently inserted it into her vent about 2". Couldn't feel anything, but when I pulled my finger out some pale yellow fluid came out with some tiny chunk things, so I'm thinking egg yolk peritonitis?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  6. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    She's sittingin a little basket I put in the kennel with some wood chips kind of like she wants to lay and panting a little. I have her in the bathroom, dark and quiet.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yikes....I have never dealt with that....Hope someone else can help you?

8. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    @chickens really
    Here's a pic, when she's standing she has her head kind of down into her shoulders, just has that "I don't feel well" look.
    [​IMG]

9. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    I tried a warm bath and she just stood there and then wanted out. Plus if it is EYP then the bath won't help? Although she acts now like she might be trying to lay so? I tried a crushed up Tums in the egg and in the pumpkin and she won't touch it. The only thing that she will eat are the meal worms :/

10. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa

Thank you! Me too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by