Can Redbro pullets be kept for layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snewman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I have some redbro birds from JM Hatchery. I was plannning on processing all of them, but recently have suffered predator losses to my laying flock. I am down to two layers, and one is two years old. Can the redbro pullets be kept, or will they eventually die a meat bird type death (heart attack, leg collapse, etc)? If they can be kept, will they lay? Are they freaks of nature like the cornish X's, or more like real chickens? Don't get me wrong, I raise some cornish X's too, not knocking them, I just know they can't be kept much beyond normal processing age (with the few notable exceptions that people occasionally post about).

My alternative to keeping a couple of these would be to buy a few young pullets from a craigslist ad (I am way sick of raising baby birds for this year, after chicks, ducklings, turkeys and geese). I know the risks of introducing disease doing that, so I'm not sure what to do. But once my broilers are gone there will only be two hens in my giant coop. Any thoughts?

2. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Anybody?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't know anything about that strain, but even if they did not die of "meaty" related problems, I doubt if they would be prolific layers. Give it a try and update us in 4 or 5 months.

4. price403

price403 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    Ivydale, WV
    I'm not exactly sure if these are the same but they are named Redbro so they may be. Click on the breed links and it gives specific breeding information for straight breeding and cross breeding.

http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/products.php?id=5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by