Can she chickens organs....

foamspoon

Songster
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
My chickens were attacked two nights ago. I lost one and thought the others were ok. My son just said one of the chickens was bleeding and other chickens were pecking her. I picked her up and she is pretty banged up, I am pretty sure I see her organs. She is slowing dripping blood. I moved her inside, besides moving slow and keep to her self she does not seem to be in pain.

I need some advice.

Thanks,

Bryan

I was able to take a picture. It is pretty bad.

This is very bad,clean off the wounds asap(use a diluted peroxide solution,you need to kill,bacteria)stop the bleeding. After you clean her up,repost with the extent of her injury. You can either stitch her or glue wounds closed. I have found stitching works the best. How long has she been like this? Give her electrolytes asap for shock.

Is that black tissue i am seeing photo? If so remove it as it is dead tissue. She most definitely is in pain,but you have to control bleeding before any pain medication can be given. Keep her warm.

Try using cold water or ice cube to stop bleeding this helps blood vessels to constrict,apply clean gauze and apply pressure to area.

Last edited:
Your hen seems to be in shock from blood loss. Ice pack applications will only put her further into shock. If you are determined to not put her down, then apply a pressure bandage but most of all keep her warm. White granulated sugar is a good coagulant. Chicken blood is the coagulation champion and often times chickens can overcome some pretty gruesome injuries, but I am not optimistic about her chances of recovering from her injuries as per your description of them. The picture is too out of focus to be of much help. Keep us informed on any progress.

Your hen seems to be in shock from blood loss. Ice pack applications will only put her further into shock. If you are determined to not put her down, then apply a pressure bandage but most of all keep her warm. White granulated sugar is a good coagulant. Chicken blood is the coagulation champion and often times chickens can overcome some pretty gruesome injuries, but I am not optimistic about her chances of recovering from her injuries as per your description of them. The picture is too out of focus to be of much help. Keep us informed on any progress.
Ice or cold water is to STOP the bleeding,this causes blood vessels to constrict. You rinse the wound. Bleeding out is serious and sugar probably will do nothing for a large wound like this.

She seems to be doing ok... This happened Saturday night and she was able to get out and in of the coop sunday. She has been able to walk around the yard before my son noticed the blood. I did not notice it after the attack. It was still dark when I think I scared the coon away and when I picked up the birds and returned them the injury was hidden by the feathers and under side.

I cleaned the wound with peroxide and a syringe. The bleeding has stopped. She can sit down and stand up and walk if she has to.

I will keep everyone posted.

If she's up and walking around and eating, give her a chance. She will need to be isolated from the flock until new feathers have grown in. For the next few days clean the wound daily with warm water. flush the ares for several minutes and the last rinse should be a weak dilution of povidine solution. Remove all feathers that are close enough to get into the wound. Since the wound is already a few days old and necroctic, suturing may only inflame the area even more, so she''ll have to heal the old fashioned way. After rinsing dry area with a towel or a hair dryer-using the LOW setting. You can apply plain neosporin once the area is thoroughly dry.

As she continues to heal you can decrease the daily flushing to ever other day, and eventually to 2x a week as the wound improves.

The onlly thing I will say about antibiotics is in cases like these I prefer an injectable product as, in my experience, oral antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in the crop which can increase the chance of sour crop, diarrhea and so forth. Often times just keeping the wound clean does wonders.

If she start to peck at her wound, you'll have to get imaginative in creating an 'apron' to lightly cover the area.

Chickens can survive these types of injuries with proper nursing care. But if at any point she starts to suffer (stops eating, listless) you'll have to make that difficult decision that we all dread to make.

Good luck with her.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post on injectable antibiotics,i would get her them soon as possible. Clean this several times a day,you can use a saline solution or soap/water,but if wound appears infected keep using diluted peroxide or salt water flush.

After seeing this updated photo, there is no way to suture this wound as there is not enough skin left. Remove necrotic tissue(dead black tissue,dead tissue can also be yellow/green)you can do this by flushing repeatedly with sterilized cooled water.The reason for removing necrotic tissue as soon as possible,is the tissue is decaying and can cause a serious overwhelming infection. This will heal from the inside out,but infection is going to be the biggest challenge as wound went unnoticed for a couple of days and puncture wounds from an animal are nasty and filled with bacteria. What for signs of infection: foul smell coming from wounds,swelling/redness,spreading swelling/redness,bird becoming lethargic,not eating/drinking.

Keep her warm,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp so additional heat is required. Keep her inside and keep her separated from other birds.

For pain,you can purchase Metacam from a vet or give her a low dose aspirin(81mg) or regular aspirin(325mg),dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese). Make sure she is eating/drinking.

When I cleaned her this morning for the first time I noticed a smell, but not overwhelming. Can I get antibiotics from a vet, "over the counter"?

On a positive note, she is moving around more and eating and drinking.

Thanks,

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom