Can somebody expain Diatomaceous Earth?

I beg to differ. We use food grade DE all around our farm. I sprinkle it in my nesting boxes, roosts, and floors of my coop to keep mites and fleas u der control. We put it into hanging dust bags for our steers to dust themselves for flies. I also sprinkle it in my garden around my veggie plants to keep earwigs away. We have had very good results with food grade DE. We buy it at our local farm and ranch store. Better than chemicals.

I beg to differ. We use food grade DE all around our farm. I sprinkle it in my nesting boxes, roosts, and floors of my coop to keep mites and fleas u der control. We put it into hanging dust bags for our steers to dust themselves for flies. I also sprinkle it in my garden around my veggie plants to keep earwigs away. We have had very good results with food grade DE. We buy it at our local farm and ranch store. Better than chemicals.
Well sure it cures bugs and mites, but I'm more concerned about parasitic worms

Where I live, it rains a lot. I put it in a large feed pan and use it for a dust bath or have used it when i used to have bedding as a desiccant. i’ve never fed it to chickens nor seen them eat it. not sure why anyone would feed DE to a chicken. i would note...when i had bedding and threw it on the bedding, i would wear a respirator mask...it makes a giant mess.

If you're worried about worms, best to have a vet do a fecal float and treat for the specific worms that you know you have.
THIS.
Most worms are not visible to the naked eye. The only way to know what worms your chickens have, if any, is to do this. Then you can treat for those specific worms. Good luck!

So I'm confused about what diotomatious earth is. I know it prevents worms in chickens but not much else.
Here is my list of questions:
  • How do you feed it to the chickens?
  • At what age to you feed it to them?
  • How much are you supposed to feed them?
  • Is it safe to eat the eggs while you are giving them diotomatious earth?
Thanks!
What mine says is that it's crushed fossilized stuff it contains silica and it could be harmful to breathe. It is absorbent and reduced smells and containinants. We use it minimally thru winter during deep bedding. Depends on your flock, but it goes a long way

Back
Top Bottom