can someone explain coronation color for me? calling Genetic folks

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I keep seeing these on eggbid and just love the color http://eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1256962822

how
is tha lavender with the white? does anyone know how this happens? I would love to get this color on my other birds but have no idea if it is even possible.

I have a white SG with black tips in the tail and in the wings a bit. whould it be possible to put her in with a lavender?

Anyway any gurus who could explain this for a real dummy I would appreciate it
smile.png

In the case of the birds being sold, the male is "pure" (homozygous) for the lavender gene.
When crossed with the Light Sussex female all of their offspring will look like Light Sussex but they will all be "split" (heterozygous) for lavender, but the lavender will not show. If the offspring are bred together in the region of a quarter of the resultant chicks will show the lavender & appear as Coronation Sussex, the remainder sppearing as Light Sussex. Alternatively, if the female offspring are bred backto the Coronation Sussex male then in the region of half their offspring will show as Coronation Sussex, the other half appearing as Light Sussex.

Very very cool color on those birds just stunning. Me like hehe.

AL

Isn't it the columbian pattern, but instead of black they have lavender???

In the case of those birds yes.

The original Coronation Sussex as in UK are blue silver columbians using the blue gene, but more recently the variety using lavender instead of blue has been created in Australia.​

pips&peeps :

Isn't it the columbian pattern, but instead of black they have lavender???

Yes. Wouldn't it be cool if you could throw a bit of Delaware in there and get barring in the pattern?​

Yes if you wanted Lavender Delawares.
Coronation is a hobby name,which aleays causes confusion, in the UK the Sussex birds are Blue Columbians, in Australia Lavender Columbians; in Orpingtons Coronation is as Speckled in Sussex.
What is an SG? Initials are as frustrating as hobby names
David

Back
Top Bottom