Can someone explain the cooling and misting of Goose eggs in incubation?

r4eboxer

Crooked Creek Poultry
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Fairmont
I have just set 4 Pilgrim Goose eggs in my bator. I have followed Pete's guide so far. I washed, weighed and marked the eggs. I turned of my auto turner so they are still for 24 hrs. I have been reading his guide and I'm not sure what he means by cooling and misting the eggs for 5-10 minutes.

I am assuming he means taking them out of the bator allow them to cool to room temp and then mist them for 5 min?

One more question, I am thinking about setting up to 5 more eggs as my girls lay them (I can only fit 9 eggs in my bator) Do you think this would cause any problems?

misting and cooling does mean to remove them. Mist them as soon as they come out of the bator then put them back when the time is up. I'm not sure about setting multi hatches in such a small space, maybe someone else can help you with that.

It's in the sticky at the top of the Goose forum. I think it is the first post, it is not made by Pete but someone linked Petes guide in that first post.

Hi All. Just to clarify things I thought I'd try to explain a little more. We believe in cooling eggs for a higher sucess rate and believe it helps to increase the rate of moisture loss from the egg as it 'contracts' during cooling. The cooling can be enhanced further by a light mist of water onto the shell and left to evaporate.

The cooling appears to benefit the egg in three key way;

• Increased rate of water molecule loss which helps to achieve an overall 16% weight loss.

• Increased rate of gas molecule exchange including carbon dioxide loss.

• Loss of excess heat from larger embryos as their metabolic rate increases with growth

To help clarify I would recommend the following programme;

From Week 2 - cool for 10 minutes daily
From Week 3 - cool for 15 minutes daily
For Week 4 - cool for 20 minutes daily

Eggs can either be removed from the incubator for individual cooling or the incubated opened and turned off for single batches. We lighlty spray the eggs at the beginning of the cooling period.

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
Hi All. Just to clarify things I thought I'd try to explain a little more. We believe in cooling eggs for a higher sucess rate and believe it helps to increase the rate of moisture loss from the egg as it 'contracts' during cooling. The cooling can be enhanced further by a light mist of water onto the shell and left to evaporate.

The cooling appears to benefit the egg in three key way;

• Increased rate of water molecule loss which helps to achieve an overall 16% weight loss.

• Increased rate of gas molecule exchange including carbon dioxide loss.

• Loss of excess heat from larger embryos as their metabolic rate increases with growth

To help clarify I would recommend the following programme;

From Week 2 - cool for 10 minutes daily
From Week 3 - cool for 15 minutes daily
For Week 4 - cool for 20 minutes daily

Eggs can either be removed from the incubator for individual cooling or the incubated opened and turned off for single batches. We lighlty spray the eggs at the beginning of the cooling period.

Pete
wink.png

Pete,
is that just for larger eggs like geese? Or is it the same cooling time for ducks as well?

Back
Top Bottom