can someone explain this waterer?

ksct

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
upstate, NY
The "fountain" is like a big "jug" that has a base that can be removed for cleaning and a small hole at the bottom where the water comes out. The small hole has a cap that is screwed on and then you unscrew the very top black opening to fill. Once filled you tighten the black top and take off the bottom cap and the water fills the base just like your currents ones do. The nice thing about this "fountain" is that it's very easy to fill and you don't have to do the base on and "flip" it over like you do the other waterers. It's large and with 5gallons of water very heavy they are not going to get knocked over as easily as the 1 or 2 1/2 gallon waterers would.
The down side is it is heavy when filled, so if you have to move it full, it does take some strength. The other down side, that little hole at the bottom is harder to clean, I use a nipple brush for baby bottles to keep it clean.
I have not used it in the winter and on a few extra cold mornings it did freeze up in the hole and wouldn't drain water until it thawed out.

OHHHH!

That's awesome!!! I made my own version of that, not knowing that is how those worked and I love it!!! But that would still be even better, mine has a spigot we let either drip out or just turn on and off as necessary to fill the bowl it sits in. Thanks for explaining!

thank you. that information was very helpful!
anyone have any experience with the 'fountain'? I just don't know if I should get the fountain or get another of the other.
i like the idea of not having to flip them over to fill etc. thanks again!

I have a fountain and I love it. Just be sure you get the top screwed on tight so that it seals. I set mine up one morning while I was in a hurry and left it to come back later and the water had all leaked out. I haven't had a problem since.

I bought two fountains from tractor supply thinking they would be easier for my wife to use when I had surgery. If the lid was too tight no water came out if the lid was too loose all the water ran out. I took them back and bought another metal waterer.

We have/had a metal waterer. We don't use it. Neither DH or myself like it. It never seems to work. There'd be water in the 'drum' part and hardly anything would come out. We switched over to the plastic ones and they are great. they're just going through about 2 gallons a day. (we have two of the gallon plastic waterers) so I was debating on whether to get a big fountain or perhaps another gallon or larger plastic waterer. Still undecided. I just don't want them to be without. i'm going over on my lunch break so i guess if they don't have one or the other..... i'll be getting the one they do have. lol

The husband preplaned, so we have a faucet in the coop. (over acheiver) The fountain works great. The lid is difficult to remove. I use my teenager for that. But I am thinking that some pam or olive oil might help. I do not fill it all of the way so it is easier to remove and clean out. We have large birds, so we set it up on a paver so that the birds did not have to bend down so far.

I bought the first one and like someone else said, I could never figure out how tight/loose the lid had to be to let the water come out. If you have it too tight, no water comes out at all. If it's too loose, the water doesn't stop coming out until it is completely empty and you have a flood. And then, when you get it so it fills the tray up and then stops, as the chickens drink it down, it doesn't refill until you go out and mess with the lid. I ended up just buying 2 metal waterers. They have worked perfectly since the day I bought them.

Plus they think that big black handle is the perfect thing to perch on.

I have a vacuum one that works similar to the first one and I love it, and have had some twist ons exactly like the 2nd one and can live without them... They leak out where the base is twisted in... If you get one of the 1 gals get the screw on bottoms not the twist on bottoms.

Back
Top Bottom