can someone please help me with a bumblefoot question? (post #9)

I'd clean it up first and see what you got there. It could be ground in dirt within the tiny cracks in the footpad, tough to clean sometimes. Is there any swelling? I dont see any redness.

Last edited:
Ok. Will do. Thanks
clap.gif

That first picture is one of mine from my Bumblefoot thread which you've already been supplied the link. You'll find a lot more pictures and step by step. Your bird's foot pad looks worse but by the time you soak it and clean it you should see a "center" and can operate around the center. If it's still the whole bottom of the pad that is a scab then yes, you will probably have to remove most of it. It's not the scab that's the problem, it's the gunk and core under the scab.

That is too funny! I just went to that link again and saw the picture. If you go to google and look for bumblefoot photos, its there. Sorry, didn't mean to "steal" you picture!
Thanks for the info. It makes me feel a lot better. Saturday as I am doing the treatment, I will have those papers printed out right beside me, helping me! Thanks again!

Yikes - that doesn't look like bumblefoot to me. When you googled it, what was it a picture of?

try buying a baby toothbrush... it's super soft but will scrub the dirt out of the cracks in the sole.

I don't use such a extensive methode to cure bumblefoot. I soak in ALOT of epsom salt, little WARM water for 10-15 minutes two or three times a day... wash it well with the brush... take tweezers and gently pull the scab up around it's perimeter... often by the second or third soak it comes right out (the whole "plug"). Once that happens I clean it, soak it, clean it again (anti-bacterial soap) THEN put the triple antibiotic IN the hole (tehre usuaully will be a hole). Put her (let's say it 's a hen) in quarentine... she is contagious... bumblefoot is Staph... and also because she needs to be in a controlled enviorment. I use towels for bedding... washed everyday... twice a day (this usually only lasts a week). I do not bandage up the foot... i do not take a blade of any sort to her foot. Just epsom salt, a baby brush, antibacterial soap, and triple strenth antibiotic cream.... and clean towels. It's a infection... a staph infection... and I treat it as such. It's up to you to give anti-biotics or not... some are against them in poultry. It's your bird, your choice.

I hope I didn't confuse you... but wanted to tell you what has worked for me time and time again. I'm not a vet (probrably no one else on BYC either... not that I have ever come accross at least)... but this is what has worked for me.

Hey tnchickenut, I like you take on bumble foot. I haven't had to deal with it yet but couldn't stand the thought of having to cut into their foot. So will remember your method first. Thanks

It looks like what we just discovered!

I saw what looked like calluses on a few of our flock. They didn't have the distinct scab look like you see in the usual bumblefoot pics - at least when their feet were dirty. Here's a pic:

57839_foot.jpg

I soaked the hens feet and they still didn't look like the typical bumblefoot pics so I decided to put neosporin on them and I wrapped them up overnight. The next day I checked them and holy smokes, what a difference in how they looked. Both feet totally looked like full blown bumblefoot now (below).

57839_foot_after_soaking.jpg

Since it was a big area I went ahead and removed the gunk from both feet (thanks to ruth: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649) . That was 2 weeks ago today and she seems to be fine. I was able to take her bandages off a few days ago.

Good luck!

Quote:
You are welcome. Something about doing surgery on a foot to a bird who is quirmy enough AND not being a vet just always bothered me. I read about a person who did essentially what I did and pulled the "plug" out ... not cut it out and kinda revamped it with my father's (he is a nurse) guidance about staph. I hope you never get to use my or anyone elses method!

Back
Top Bottom