can someone please help me with a bumblefoot question? (post #9)

Quote:
Not the same thing. Epsom salt is in the first aid isle of the drug store. I am beginning the same treatment on my BC Marans tonight. Hope it works, I REALLY don't want to have to cut her foot open.
sickbyc.gif

I know its not the same thing but I couldn't find any epsom salt at walmart in the first aid section. I read in the post that was linked to me that kitchen salt worked fine but I wanted to check. If not, I will have to make a walgreens stop in the morning before I start the treatment.

Epsom salt is also used in gardening.. try nurseries or the landscaping sections of lowes, home depot, kmart, walmart.... co-ops might have it. Dollar stores usually have it too for first aid.

Table salt is not the same thing and will irritate the wound.

If you can't find any in time, I would use warm to hot (just don't burn the chicken!lol) water with a little bit of antibacterial soap in it..... but still get the epsom salt as soon as you can... it draws out the infection.

I use kitchen salt all the time. I thoroughly cut and dig and clean out the abcess and continue soaking in warm, very salty water. Since I never use antibiotics and have never had a reoccurence or had to retreat a foot - it's my opinion that the salt water (either Epsom or Mortons) helps to clean out the wound and kill whatever "staph" or germ caused the infection in the first place.

Some of those pix look like cagewear...No infections yet...You may not want to open it up until you know there is Staph there...Looks like calluses from having the feet dry out too much... Put some salve on it after a good soak and soft bedding.. If there isn't a defined looking plug dI wouldn't cut it open... you are asking for infection then.

Quote:
I agree.. I would not cut it open yet either..
You need to soak it first.. see if you can soften up the scab/calluses..
I am treating 7 chickens for bumble foot... i have not had to cut into any of them... i'm just soaking the feet nightly (betadine and epsom salt..).. and the plug eventually loosens up and it comes right out...
I soak the feet nightly and put antibiotic ointment on the scabs and wrap up the feet ... This is what my vet told me to do.. and its working great so far.. they are almost all healed... except my 2 roos
he.gif
... But all the other girls scabs are pretty much all gone now...

ETA.. although, i'm not saying that sometimes you may not need to cut into their feet... Its really a case by case thing... sometimes you do need to cut into them.. but i feel that it should be avoided if possible... Good luck!

Last edited:
I ended up having to treat 2 hens. They both had the scab after I soaked and washed their feet. I did the treatment and they are both together in a "hospital" coop.

Back
Top Bottom