Can Someone Please Sex My Light Sussex?

ChickenHack

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Queensland, Australia

1st and 2nd photos: These are the two chooks I've seen 'crowing' They stand up, flap their wings and crow and to me, it sounds like a rooster, but I hae heard that hens can crow too?. Conversely, given that they've got short tails which stand up, doesn't that generally mean that they're hens?? 3rd and 4th photos: These photos are of the three chooks which all look the same to me - quite big, longish tails with black in them. I haven't heard any of them crow, but I thought longer tails were a characteristic of cockrals?

Hello! I'm new here and new to owning chickens. My family has five Light Sussex (bantem size) chooks which we were given from a friend's flock. We got them when they were 6 - 8 weeks old and were told that 'they're most likely hens'. They're now approx 12 - 16 weeks old and I have my doubts! We have three which look very similar to each other (longish tails with more black feathers in them) and two which have short, almost fluffy tails that stand up. The combs on all five are very similar in colour and size (to my untrained eye!). Photos above as I couldn't figure out how to move them elsewhere and any thoughts on what gender they might be would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Well, I looked at the pictures first and thought pullets since I don't really see saddle feathers. I'd need more of a close-up of the birds to really get a good look at them. But the crowing... Yes, females do sometimes crow, but I'm not sure if it's something they'd do at such a young age. I'd always heard that older ones who move into a position of power in a flock might do it.

Older, dominate hens can sometimes start crowing. Young pullets don't crow. That much comb/wattles, the thick legs, the crowing....you have two roosters.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, I suspected that Scruffy and Batman were roosters (the crowing sort of gave it away, even though people said hens could crow). Unfortunately they're the two with the most personality and the ones my 4 year old loves! She's not going to be happy that they need to go
sad.png
. But that's what you get from free chickens I guess.

Back
Top Bottom