Can someone tell me what caused this****Graphic Pic****

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
I just finished my second hatch. My first hatch went perfect. This one was not so.

I had 10 eggs go to lockdown. 5 hatched on days 22-23. The last of those pipped bloody but I left it and 28 hours later it zipped and then was still in the shell all day, it couldnt get out of the hole it made, so I reached in and tipped it up and pulled off a piece of shell and it wriggled like mad and fell out. I noticed the shell was very orange inside and bloody looking. 4 out of the 5 were pipped in the middle, not in the air cells, but the first 4 came out fine on their own, but the shells looked pinker inside than my first hatch.

Then today (day 24) the last two pipped eggs( also pipped in the middle) stopped wiggling, and the peeps got faint and stopped. I helped the one with the bloody pip by opening the shell a little at a time and trying to let it get out on it's own like we did the first one. It continued to get weaker and weaker, so we reluctantly intervened again and streched the shell apart so he could wriggle free. The shell inside was like the first one I helped, but worse. There was no air cell, it was full of blood- tinged fluid.

Then I checked on the last pipped egg and it was dead. I opened it and the chick was fully formed and I think the yolk was absorbed, bit it was full of fluid as well. It had not actually broken through the outer membrane, just the inner one.

I took this picture of the dead chick, I am sorry it is sad and unpleasant, but I am hoping someone with much experience here can tell me what went wrong?

47962_dscn0987.jpg

I put the last three eggs, that haven't pipped or anything and put them under my broody hen instead of her blue plastic eggs, because I figure you never know?

I don't know, but I am sorry that happened.

I had a broody last year that just wasn't a good mother. She only sat on the eggs most of the time, She wasn't as dedicated as the others I've seen. Her eggs were like this. Only a couple pipped and they all died very quickly.

I have never used an incubator, could the temps have been off a tad?? I'm speculating - I don't really know.

Thank you Lisa!
I am going to get some new thermometers and follow the instructions I found on here bout calibrating them too I think. I also did not use a hydrometer, I thought since the first hatch went so well it would again. If I had...hate those what ifs. I think the cold spots think is right on too, since 4 hatched perfectly, and the others were varying degrees of not perfect.
I am happy to have gotten what I did though!
wee.gif

I would research too much humidity...along with a low temp. Your results are VERY similar to when I started out. It can be frustrating losing them when they'd "come so far"...and nerve racking!
fl.gif
A fellow chicken breeder told us to increase the temp...especially if they are hatching so late in the cycle with a "soupy" egg. We maintain a 101 degree temp and about 50% humidity. You will find an overwhelming debate on too low/too high humidity, but a hydrometer will help if you don't have one. Our chicks now regularly start pipping on day 20 and usually the last one hatches the end of day 21. We have had a 90% success rate for over two months now and hatch every weekend.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom