Can someone tell me what is wrong with my Red Golden Pheasant hen?

Sonja T

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
She's about 20 months old... She does this "cough" (which sounds to me like a backward hiccup....) We put some VetRx in her drinking water and then we gave her a dose of valbazen (1/4 of 1cc orally) about 2 weeks ago... Please look at this video I took...
You can't hear her cough very well, but look how she's acting.... HELP!!!!

She's about 20 months old... She does this "cough" (which sounds to me like a backward hiccup....) We put some VetRx in her drinking water and then we gave her a dose of valbazen (1/4 of 1cc orally) about 2 weeks ago... Please look at this video I took...
You can't hear her cough very well, but look how she's acting.... HELP!!!!
I see one of your birds sinuses is very bad swollen you must treat it immediately with tylosin injection(inject half cc under the skin not inside the mussle) or you get n product fosbac + t which is a oral treatment or you can use tripple sulfa product if it is coryza only but if it is MG you must go for tylon. It seems youre bird have Mycoplasma or coryza or some kind of cold, you can tray tylosin for all these symtoms

good luck

Thank you! We found the Tylosin at the feed store this morning! Can you tell me how often we are to inject her? And where do you usually give the injection? Appreciate your help!

Thank you! We found the Tylosin at the feed store this morning! Can you tell me how often we are to inject her? And where do you usually give the injection? Appreciate your help!

which tylosin product do you bought? check on the directions how much per kg. Normaly goldens is small pheasants and i will say 0,25 cc for three days. Inject under the skin and not in the mucsle it is difficult but possible the best place to inject is just above the upper wing on her back and please do not inject on the same place the next day but if you are afraid to inject tylon will also help oraly I will say 1 cc for a half of a galon water.

which tylosin product do you bought? check on the directions how much per kg. Normaly goldens is small pheasants and i will say 0,25 cc for three days. Inject under the skin and not in the mucsle it is difficult but possible the best place to inject is just above the upper wing on her back and please do not inject on the same place the next day but if you are afraid to inject tylon will also help oraly I will say 1 cc for a half of a galon water.
We bought Tylan 50 and my husband looked up on the internet how to give the shot.... we gave her 1/2cc per your first instructions so guess she got a good healthy dose the first time around!!
We will give .25cc over the next two days and as you advised, not in the same place... How soon before we should see results? Again, thanks so much for your help in this situation. We are new to the world of pheasants and appreciate help from the pro's :)

Sure sounds like a simple case of worms to me. Is it a dry sneeze or is there mucas coming from her nostrils ? If it is dry she needs a good dose of PUMPKIN. I have had this same symtom in some of my birds in the past and was due to parasite worms. With Halloween coming on you shouldn't have any problem finding pumpkins. Just take one and smash it in her pen. They love it and while I'm certainly not a VET, that should help. It sure won't do any harm. Please keep us up dated and good luck.

We bought Tylan 50 and my husband looked up on the internet how to give the shot.... we gave her 1/2cc per your first instructions so guess she got a good healthy dose the first time around!!
We will give .25cc over the next two days and as you advised, not in the same place... How soon before we should see results? Again, thanks so much for your help in this situation. We are new to the world of pheasants and appreciate help from the pro's :)
after the 3rd day there will be improvement 1/2 cc is fine for tylon 50 tylon 200 you need to inject a lesser amount of dose

Thanks for your input, Deserthotwings~ We actually gave her a dose of Valbazen (for worms) about 2 weeks ago... also thinking it might be worms. It's more like a dry cough (or sneeze?) - no mucus, no runny nose... Going into town today... and will buy a pumpkin and try that, too! Won't hurt even if it doesn't help, but hopefully it will help :) Appreciate your help and De Wet's help. By the way, our Red Golden's name is Phebe and her mate is Farnsworth.. I'll keep you posted on Phebe's progress.

Phebe seems somewhat better... but she is still opening her mouth quite a bit? I'm still very concerned about her....
We did buy a pumpkin and put quartered sections in both coops (we have two coops) and couldn't see where
any of our pheasants touched them.... Oh well.... At least the other three pheasants seem okay~ Any other
suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom