Can stress kill chickens

Pics
Of course, but I will say this: immediately after the first time the dog chased the chickens, his behavior changed. After the second escape, he would not leave the coop anymore. His stress levels were obvious.

I have hand raised everyone of my chickens, and I know them very well.

I am retired and at home all the time, interacting with my chickens daily at length.

You are correct and without a necropsy I cannot be 100% right about my Brahma. But I'm certain enough for me, because sometimes water is just wet, because it is.
My problem with this sort of thread is that it spreads misinformation, and without necropsies, it's just anyone's best guess.

Any vet or poultry expert will suggest having a necropsy done to determine cause of death, especially when such a large number die at the same time.

My problem with this sort of thread is that it spreads misinformation, and without necropsies, it's just anyone's best guess.

Any vet or poultry expert will suggest having a necropsy done to determine cause of death, especially when such a large number die at the same time.
I agree with this very much. Discussion outcome has more to do with who types and hit send button fastest than any basis on usable information needed to fix problem.

The only problem with electric fencing with young children is that they might get shocked, too.
Electric fencing can be used around children. When they're real little, unplug it when they're outside. When they get bigger, give them a warning, and they'll figure it out when they test it out.

Weasels will kill multiple birds with little to no sign. You may or may not see blood. What I have seen after a confirmed weasel attack was a bunch of dead six-week old chicks with no obvious injuries. Upon closer inspection, I found little "vampire" marks under a wing of each bird.

Could they have all died from a heart attack? Possible but not likely. I think panicking and flying around the run, banging into the fence is more likely.

A raccoon, dog, or owl kill will be messy as a rule.

I would look for small openings that might let a weasel in, check for bite marks, and put electric around your coop and run.

If you continue to have chickens dropping dead without stress, it may warrant a necropsy to look for disease. If not, I wouldn't bother if it were my flock.

Back
Top Bottom