Can stress kill chickens

~My problem with this sort of thread is that it spreads misinformation, and without necropsies, it's just anyone's best guess.~

I agree and disagree. Michelle's situation is different because she lost multiple birds. But that does not mean that without a necropsy my situation is "anyone's best guess."

Actually, MY best guess under these circumstances is excellent. You may not be able to see that, but you may also notice that I'm not saying what anyone else needs to know in connection with their situation. I'm simply sharing my experience for Michelle, and it may not be the answer to her situation or anyone else's. But it does answer her question so far as I know as a poultry keeper.

I am saying that chickens can die of fright, and I'm certain enough about my Brahma for me. And I am also saying that my best guess in my situation is lots better than "anyone's best guess."

There was no misinformation spread in my post. Okay? I posted an objective description of the situation, and I stated my conclusions, never claiming that they were necropsy standard. Not being necropsy standard doesn't mean my comments are "misinformation."

Just to be really clear for you, because you seem to want me to have a specific kind of conversation, but you're not me, and I have a problem with you wanting that.

Last edited:
I would like to add, Michelle, that I've had a couple of other chickens die, a young hen and a couple of chicks. Through looking at everything I could, I'm pretty sure I understood one chick's symptoms, but I was a complete blank on the other chick. And my hen I lost could have had a few things, her symptoms were several, and for her I really have no idea, even after reading a lot.

casportpony is correct and no one can be 100% certain without a necropsy in a case like my rooster's, and maybe not even with one, but when it happened I did read up and found more information available on the subject on the internet than a single thread. There is actually a term for the condition. I found several sites that talk about it, including this one: http://www.yourchickens.co.uk/chicken-fears-1-3519906

"Sometimes, this panic can have fatal consequences. Quite often, chicken keepers have found birds dead after a fox attack with minor injuries (or even no injuries at all). They died of fright. Highly strung and pure-breed birds are particularly susceptible to stress, and, on occasions, the sudden and drastic change to their routine during a poultry show can be enough to finish them off. This is why you should always be slow and careful if making any significant changes to your birds’ circumstances."

I found other sites that are better with more clinical information. Google the topic and you will find a lot of info. I'm pretty sure my rooster died of fear, and it wasn't very long ago, just a few weeks. I still miss him. And of course, it's not a medical "diagnosis."

But I'm not sure you need one - yet. If you lose more chickens, however . . .

My problem with this sort of thread is that it spreads misinformation, and without necropsies, it's just anyone's best guess.

Any vet or poultry expert will suggest having a necropsy done to determine cause of death, especially when such a large number die at the same time.

And misinformation is worse than no information at all. At my age I have learned that I am not always right and don't HAVE TO BE right always. Anyone who does not keep an open mind limits their ability to learn.

Back
Top Bottom