Can we decide what breed this turkey poult is?

CoChook

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2019
Colorado
I picked this turkey poult up at Murdochs about 1- 1.5 weeks ago. It was in a bin with a bunch of broad breasted whites but was a 'leftover' from the week before. I was told they had a general 'assorted heritage turkeys' bin the week before, which really doesn't narrow it down a lot.
Just from what I can tell of it, I believe it is either a Bronze or a Narragansett...but no clue which. All I really have to go off of, are that it didn't ever have a ton of face marking, and the feathers coming in have a bit of penciling, and some lacing (but not an obscene amount either). No chest feathers are coming in quite yet.At this point it may be impossible to actually tell which.
Any good guesses?

Day we brought him/her home:
BabyTom.jpg

This weekend (just over 1 week later):
turkey3.jpg
turkey4.jpg
turkey2.jpg

Attachments

• turkey5.jpg
    turkey5.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to BYC!
I believe you're right about it being too early to tell. Narragansetts and Bronzes look very similar at a young age, and are hard to distinguish.
That being said, I am not an expert. I don't breed bronzes nor narragansetts, so I haven't had any hands on experience with the matter. Narragansetts are lighter as poults, so i've heard, and they lack the bronze/reddish color that bronzes have, in place of that having a more gray coloration.

If it's alright, I recommend you to the thread below for more knowledgeable people's opinions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/page-3506
A lot of the people there are very versed in turkey colors/genetics.

Back
Top Bottom