Can we feasibly raise turkeys here?

My dogs ARE bred and trained to be bird-hunting dogs. They are whistle-trained to flush birds (quail, dove, pheasant, etc.) and then retrieve them to hand when they fall.

Do you think a dog like this CAN be trained to leave chickens & turkeys alone?

My son had 2 imported gun dogs. 1 Welsh Springer, 1 English Springer with pure field trial champion pedigrees. Both of those dogs were shot over extensively, both flushed and retrieved game, and neither one would even look at the poultry, other livestock, or wild rabbits. It's all in the training and it takes very little effort to train a dog to leave poultry alone, if you start before the dog ever chases poultry.

After the dog has learned to enjoy chasing poultry, he can still be trained, but it takes a lot more effort and a lot more consistency.

My son had 2 imported gun dogs. 1 Welsh Springer, 1 English Springer with pure field trial champion pedigrees.  Both of those dogs were shot over extensively, both flushed and retrieved game, and neither one would even look at the poultry, other livestock, or wild rabbits.  It's all in the training and it takes very little effort to train a dog to leave poultry alone, if you start before the dog ever chases poultry.

After the dog has learned to enjoy chasing poultry, he can still be trained, but it takes a lot more effort and a lot more consistency.
:thumbsup

I'm very happy with my corgi mix especially. He is so fantastic with them.

Back
Top Bottom