Can we talk about Perches?

808momof4

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
What do you have in your coop? I'm watching my 5 week olds perch on my daughter's bicycle tire and thinking of cutting a new tire from the store and wrapping the rubber around a pole in their new coop. But that's totally my rookie idea. I'd like to know what works best. I'm going to Home Depot for the finishing touches on our Coop this week.

I use a flat 2x4. Does it get real cold where you are? Flat 2x4 enables them to cover their whole foot in feathers at night. See how Patsy's feet are nowhere to be seen.

Big Coop_03_14_2019 7_12_10PM_1552605130913.jpg

Last edited:
I use a flat 2x4. Does it get real cold where you are? Flat 2x4 enables them to cover their whole foot in feathers at night. See how Patsy's feet are no where to be seen.

View attachment 1709292

We live in Hawaii, but at the top of the mountain. The coldest it gets up here is in the low 50's once or twice a year for a couple of days. It's been mid to high 60's the past few weeks at night. High 70's to low 80's during the day.

We live in Hawaii, but at the top of the mountain. The coldest it gets up here is in the low 50's once or twice a year for a couple of days. It's been mid to high 60's the past few weeks at night. High 70's to low 80's during the day.

I would do a round perch then. They seem to like them better. It gets to -10° here so foot safety is important. The rubber idea may be a good one. If you do it I would love to see pictures.

I think I'm going to buy some tires from the store, cut them up and wrap them around a post. Our girls perch on my childrens' bikes every day. They really seem to like it. We have a huge mango tree in our yard that they stay away from and use the bikes instead.

I think I'm going to buy some tires from the store, cut them up and wrap them around a post. Our girls perch on my childrens' bikes every day. They really seem to like it. We have a huge mango tree in our yard that they stay away from and use the bikes instead.

Let us know how it works.

Back
Top Bottom