Can we talk poop?

JosieR

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Orange County, NY
Up until now my ducks' poop has been light and watery. They free range in the yard and I never noticed poop anywhere. Suddenly (no recent change in feed) it's looking more like goose poop. More solid and formed. When it is watery, it's very dark and thick.

They have not started to lay yet, although I did start them on some oyster shell recently. Free choice, could that be it? How do I get them back to that nice liquid-y poop that just disappears into the lawn?

I get a mixture of textures from my babies as well-solid and liquid. Guess the next form will be gas!
lol.png

I think it is normal-not much you can do about the texture.

When mine are on an all feed diet, the poop very runny with lots of liquid. When they start ranging, which mine all do, it gets more solid "more like a goose". I think it's the bugs and the roughage from grass etc. that does it. Either that or a maturity thing that kicks in between 4 and 8 weeks of age.

I believe the former.

Not sure if it's the same with ducks, but my chicken's poo is very large and firm during the laying season and more runny and small when laying season is over. As I recall, the ducks were somewhat the same way....it was different when they were laying eggs.

Talking about oyster calcium. It produces a white wash that stains my deck. I have to rinse hard and heavy to get it off even when still wet. I guess it is time to apply a sealer. That and the green Luigi that smell like ammonia.
ep.gif
My husband almost threw up on one of them.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom