can we use the creek and dig a pond?

Quote:
x2

x3

x4

Think of whatever wildlife may actually depend on that water downstream, or what it may lead into later on in its course. I would not mess with that at all. If you built your own pond, and filled it with your own water, thats one thing, especially a lined manmade pond. but taking a stream and diverting that way, just... not something i would be apt to mess with.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this. One one hand it would be cool to harness it and have fun with it. On the other hand, I have a "brook" (strong brook!) that runs along my property and onto and through several others' land. If one of them stopped it, or diverted it in a way that it no longer flowed through mine, I would be LIVID. That beautiful brook is one of my favorite things about my property. I also suspect you could get into some legal trouble/legal action if you do this, but I'm not sure.

Depending where it is, it could be "wetlands" and be federally protected.

If it's shown on a topographic map as a BLUE line, it is protected.

There's a good chance you can't even build within 50 ft of it​

Some States are even very strict about animals manure run off into flowing water. Best to check with zoning and get the low down on everything you can and can't do to that property before you buy it or it may come back to bite you.

In Virginia, we have the Chesapeake Bay Act which is very restrictive on what you can do regarding wetlands. We discovered an underground stream on our property which we wanted to utilize to create a pond. County permits, a topo survey with regard to the Chesapeake Bay Act and wetlands, Army Corps of Engineers to evaluate the clay content in the soil for use as a dam, digging of the pond, construction of dam inclusive of overflow piping and granite rock spillway, lawyer to draw up papers for HOA and all homeowners which would be "downstream" in the event of flooding/overflow not working/dam giving way, etc. We have our pond which is 3/4-1 acre in size and love it but there was ALOT involved to have it. Had we not gone the legal route and just "dug a hole" there could have been massive repercussions should a problem have arisen. After the pond was completed and we stocked it, the Fish and Game would have stocked it for free for us, however, anyone could have then come on our land with a fishing license and fished in our pond. We chose to pay to have it stocked so that the pond stays private to us and our land. We also have the property heavily posted against trespassers and are in the process of fencing our entire property. We are not mean or reclusive, we just don't want anyone coming on the property, getting hurt and sueing us.

really not sure i would recomend it we dug out where it was swampy and has loads of springs and it was inhabbited by frogs in a short ammount of time and was completely unusuable to us even if we wanted to use it for watering livestock we wouldnt its gross

Back
Top Bottom