Can weasels climb?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fisharescary, Aug 26, 2011.

1. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    I was wondering if weasels can climb. I know they can squeeze through any opening greater than 1" and so many people say to put hardware cloth around the bottom 3 feet of your run (for a variety of reasons really) and also to put down an apron of HW Cloth. But if they can climb, wouldn't we need hardware cloth all the way up?

2. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

they climb very well - tough little critters to keep out.

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless you use harware cloth all around and seal every little crevice, if a weasel wants in, he will get in.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I don't know about weasels, but I know ferrets are really good climbers and they are related to weasels. I would guess that weasels can do some climbing. Hardware cloth all the way up would be the best plan, but it is so blasted expensive that most can't afford to do so. I lock mine back in the coops at night and that helps with the predator problems. It is easier to predator proof a coop than it is a full run. If you lock them in at night you only have to predator proof your run for daytime predators (hawks, dogs, etc).

5. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Guess I will just be shelling out for more of the danged hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by