Can you contact your doctor after hours?

My MIL was an office manager *retired* for a group of doctors for over 30 years, so yes ~ if I really needed to contact my doctor at home after hours, I could. But we have never done it...have always used the ER if it couldn't wait until the office opened. I do know that the only way he would ever be called, was if it was serious enough ~ his mother would call.
wink.png

I can get a doctor who is a member of my doctor's group practice. They take turns on who is going to handle the after hours stuff. But I do have to leave a message and they get back to me only if it's fairly urgent. Fairly urgent == I need a doctor to tell me if my illness/injury is serious enough to merit a trip to the ER or if it can wait till tomorrow. No doctor needs to check your medical records to tell you what symptoms require a trip to the ER and what can wait, or what they might be willing to trek into the office to manage.

This is actually one thing I consider when picking a new doctor, whether or not they are a member of a group practice that handles after hours calls. But I do recognize that it is a luxury not available to everyone.

Most of the time, the pharmacist can tell you if there is an exact substitution that is a cheaper generic.

If this is a new prescription, and you've not even started yet, is there any harm in waiting until tomorrow to contact the doctor, and then getting the prescription filled?

Can you contact your doctor after hours?

Sure can. I even have his parents number when he goes to California on vacation to visit them. Oh, I also do his medical billing for him and I have his cell phone #, his pager #, his email, aim name, etc.
big_smile.png

My husband is the buisness admin for the office. And yes, I used to work in the office (it's in NYC) and answer the phones and make appointments, etc. Now I work at home in the country.

I won't even get into insurance companies and ingrate patients.​

Quote:
Yes, but the doctor still has to write or phone in a new prescription.
If this is a new prescription, and you've not even started yet, is there any harm in waiting until tomorrow to contact the doctor, and then getting the prescription filled?

Yes, I would like to start getting better as soon as possible. Their after-hour unavailability caused me to wait 3 full days, from Fri to Mon PM before I was able to get the meds I needed at a price I could bear.​

Frankly, after-hours accessibility isn't so important to me. We have a million urgent care centers that have the same insurance copays, etc, as a doctor's office.

However, I wish I could find a doctor that had appointments after 4:00 PM at least one day a week, didn't close completely on Wednesdays, and was open after noon on Fridays. Apparently I'm from Mars, because no one around here does ANY of those things.

Back
Top Bottom