Egg bound? Day 4 - hard to find vets to treat

The update:
Her vet is optimistic, he did a cbc, Chem panel, fecal (no parasites), and a cloacal scoping with lubrication. He also gave her fluids. He wants us back early tomorrow morning to get an updated xray and hopefully get the Chem panel back before he gives her anything else. He will try to do what he can without sedation (including possibly the aspiration and collapsing the egg). He didn't think the egg was too big, or adhered, but he said the front end of the egg looks well calcified but the back half of the egg does not, and that might be why she's having trouble with it. Keep us in your thoughts. I'll update tomorrow.

Yes, most rehabbers won't take osprey, they only eat fish, so it can be very difficult to feed them. The one I took broke it's wing, it was a young one, diving into a shallow pond (saw it happen). The wing was so shattered that they euthanized it also. It was really sad, but at least it didn't slowly starve to death or get taken by a predator. If it had been any other bird it might have been able to live in captivity, but I guess Osprey's don't really do well with that.
Glad your vet is willing to try, bless them. Best of luck, hope you have a good outcome.

Yes, most rehabbers won't take osprey, they only eat fish, so it can be very difficult to feed them. The one I took broke it's wing, it was a young one, diving into a shallow pond (saw it happen). The wing was so shattered that they euthanized it also. It was really sad, but at least it didn't slowly starve to death or get taken by a predator. If it had been any other bird it might have been able to live in captivity, but I guess Osprey's don't really do well with that.
Glad your vet is willing to try, bless them. Best of luck, hope you have a good outcome.
Ugh, terribly sad. You tried 😭

Update:
Her vet just called, "You're never going to guess what it was," she had a twisted oviduct, there was no way the egg was going to come out. He had to open her up and do full surgery on her. I'm picking her up at 5pm. I am still adrenaline filled but so relieved. The egg was soft, he said he only saw one other follicle so he snipped it off. He didn't think she'd have this issue again but I want to look into an implant for her. She was sedated for an hour so he didn't want to go any longer to do a spay. He said she did good though and is recovering now.

I don't know what happened to the user Eurochick who was incredibly helpful and optimistic, since all their other comments aren't up anymore, but I appreciate their earlier comments and hope they come back 😭

I don't know what happened either. I'm guessing something admin had to do, in order to remove all posts. I really have no guess as to that. It appears there were posts up to yesterday, but all have disappeared. It's a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom